
When I was on my mission Dad’s job had him traveling a lot. I often received letters that were written while he was waiting in various airports or delayed on a tarmac somewhere. After the mission and college when I started traveling for my job it became a bonding point for us both. Even now I feel like Dad’s the only one I can truly talk to who understands the ins and outs of business travel. It’s a funny juxtaposition now that I’ve recently made Platinum status on American Airlines and he’s now the missionary. He’s slogging it out in the mission field while I have people “powdering my butt” as he used to say. On my flight today from Dallas to Boston I had a lovely lunch which began with hot towels and warm nuts. The salad was good and I had to choose between the BBQ sandwich or the pizza. I declined the wine of course but warm cookies were on their way to make up for it. My glass of water (note: GLASS, not plastic cup) was not less than half empty the whole flight. They called me Ms. Wuehler… and they made sure to pronounce it right.
I have to tell you there is a certain power in being pregnant when it comes to travel. You may have noticed that before they board a flight there’s a small group of well-heeled men standing near the gate. They try to look surreptitious but they watch that gate like Ed McMahon is about to come out any minute and declare them the winner of Publisher’s Clearinghouse Sweepstakes. There’s a reason for this you see, every one of those business men has a laptop bag and rollerboard. Although First Class has many amenities, there is simply not much room in the overhead compartment, especially if EVERYONE has a rollerboard which pretty much everyone does. Much of the space is taken up by FAA required first aid and emergency supplies. So it’s a dog eat dog world there in First Class.
I sat back and watched them; thoroughly entertained by the way they try to edge up on one another. Clearly they're competitive people who are used to mapping out strategies for success. To put it plainly, they’re used to winning. Just before the announcement is made to board, I headed over to the group and soundly destroy their plans to race onto the jet bridge first. Who is going to be the jerk who tries to shove past the pregnant lady? That’s right, no one. The cost of doing so would be to have everyone stare you down for being utterly uncouth. They all must give me deference and it is I who makes it onto the plane first. Even the guy who eyes my belly as if he’s thinking, “She looks healthy enough, I could get ahead of her” ends up standing aside. If I choose to waddle a little slower, they must wait. In this scenario, it is I alone who sets the pace.
I sat back and watched them; thoroughly entertained by the way they try to edge up on one another. Clearly they're competitive people who are used to mapping out strategies for success. To put it plainly, they’re used to winning. Just before the announcement is made to board, I headed over to the group and soundly destroy their plans to race onto the jet bridge first. Who is going to be the jerk who tries to shove past the pregnant lady? That’s right, no one. The cost of doing so would be to have everyone stare you down for being utterly uncouth. They all must give me deference and it is I who makes it onto the plane first. Even the guy who eyes my belly as if he’s thinking, “She looks healthy enough, I could get ahead of her” ends up standing aside. If I choose to waddle a little slower, they must wait. In this scenario, it is I alone who sets the pace.
Once on board it doesn’t stop there because who’s going to be the jerk who makes the pregnant lady put her rollerboard into the overhead compartment? Again, they must bow to me. It’s women and children first and at the moment, I cover BOTH those categories. I trump their every advantage. They may be CEO's or high-powered salesman, but I am expecting which is something they will never have. Perhaps it’s not breaking the glass ceiling, but it is domination, even if only for the duration of a flight. Veni, Vidi, Vici.
6 comments:
I'm tempted now to get one of those fake pregnancy bellies next time I fly!
It must be nice to travellike that. I didn't get any special treatment the few times that I flew pregnant. Well, one guy did give up his isle seat so I didn't have to sit in the middle which was nice. i guess that is what I get for flying Southwest
HAHA! Let me tell you what trumps the pregnant belly......a broken arm (from being drug behind the car by your husband) while toting a VERY new newborn with you and nobody else with you to help out. That was THEE best flight I ever took, they bumped me up to first class, and gave me three seats....one for me, one for Noah, and one across the aisle to strap my diaper bag into. However, I don't advise trying it out for yourself....stick with the pregnant belly. :)
They step aside, as they should, because the boom is about to lower. They don't have to get up and pee every couple of hours, and they don't have the equipment for 1, 3, and 5 am feedings. Like a Veteran with no legs, they step aside because they would rather do that, than be in your shoes.
I love your stories. I feel like I am right there with you. I must tell you that I could only wish and dream to have platinum status. I love to travel and fly. Maybe someday :) How much time do you have left before they ground you and you can't fly anymore?
I've only flown a couple times pregnant. The first was 5 or 6 months prego with Henry on Southwest Air. They definitely tried to attend to any possible needs I had above the average amount of attention you get. The second time I flew pregnant was at the end of the first trimester with Jack. I made sure to let passengers around me know that my toddler was 4 days shy of two and I was 3 months pregnant. They were all men and all were very, very helpful, even when I didn't need help.
The best experience I had, though, was flying with Henry when he was a couple months old. Some woman GAVE UP her first class seat to me so I would have more room. I thought that was so incredibly nice. I know I wouldn't be inclined to do that. I was extremely paranoid about having a newborn in first class for obvious reasons, so I breathed a huge sigh of relief when at the end of the flight, the guy in front of me stood up and said, "Woah! I had no idea there was a baby behind me!"
Post a Comment