Tuesday, April 08, 2008

An Affair To Remember

I'm cheating on Brent. Before you judge me too harshly as a horrible person let me point out he's cheating on me too. We've fallen in love with someone else. What can I say? It happens.

Somewhere between the first dose of pitocin on Tuesday afternoon and my release from the hospital Friday morning I became smitten with the most angelic creature I've ever encountered. I'm a goner, and there's simply no looking back. No one told me when she was finally born she'd take my heart and soul with her.

Her hiccups delight me, her sneezes entertain me, her snoring endears me all the more. Every squeak, squeal and yes, sometimes even squawk is the most precious thing I've ever heard and I want to hold the moment forever. Her searching eyes and soft pink lips are too perfect to come from this world. When she cries and I call out, "Hey girl" she quiets at the sound of my voice. Yes yes, I am her mother and she is my very own baby.

Brent feels the same way. Lest you think our marriage has hit the rocks, let me allay your fears. We're suddenly simultaneously in love with each other now more than ever. Watching him hold her, coo to her, rock her and dance with her has given me a million more reasons I thank my lucky stars he is my eternal companion. Welcome Liesel, you're our third Wuehler and you are so very, very loved.

8 comments:

Cheryl and William said...

CONGRATULATIONS! She is so adorable- just like her mom

Libby said...

Third Wuehler, but never a third wheel, eh?

Ooooh, we can't wait to meet Liesel. Such cute little bubbles she's blowing! Such perfect little fingers! Such piercing eyes! Sigh. We'll get over there soon, I promise.

russia boy said...

She is beautiful! I told you it would all be worth it :) It is amazing how girls like us can be so touched by such perfect little creatures...

Katrina said...

Now you have an even better reason to scrapbook! If you ever get the time, and can pick from the first 100 photos. I think Abigail's first book only takes you to her being 6 months old. New babies are fun, and delightful, and addicting. Wait 'til you start thinking about #2. :D

Alyse said...

Danika, she is too cute! I can't wait to see her! Looks like a trip to Boston is needed soon! Give her kisses from me and give Brent a hug too! I miss you my dear sweet cousin!

Blair said...

Aw, man, it's hard enough for us to wait for ours without you gushing about yours! We just went to our first birthing class last night, and it's gotten me all impatient. Our turn!

Chelsea said...

you said it all very well and yet words still can't quite communicate the deep feelings you have for this new little creature, huh? it's the same the second time, too.

CONGRATS!!

Lisa said...

Aaaah, I have such a HUGE smile on my face still. How lucky was I to get to welcome her to the world. Truly, one of THEE most beautiful babies I have seen. You were STELLAR, before, during, and after. Give yourself a pat on the back, and treat yourself to a pedicure. Oh! Have I never told you my theory? Children make a bad marriage worse and a good marriage better! Just when you thought it couldn't get any better......enter Liesel. Kisses!