Saturday, September 27, 2014

Apple Picking

Ireland's class had a field trip to the Royal Oak Apple Orchard which parents were invited to, but siblings were not. As we are still new in the area, I don't know anyone well enough to leave my youngest two for the better part of a day. It pained me to think of Ireland missing out on the field trip so we decided to go as a family instead. 

Is it just me or are the best apples near the top of the tree? The following day Brent mentioned his back was unusually sore. I wonder why...




An unsuccessful attempt at a group shot of the girls:

At the store, they sold fresh, hot apple spice donuts. They smelled positively divine!

Brigitta didn't waste any time devouring hers.
This orchard was really fantastic. I found a really great recipe for apple crisp that uses chopped nuts instead of oats (which soak up the juices and never really gets "crisp"y). Even though the weather has been sunny and warm, apple picking put me firmly in fall mode.

Perhaps we'll make this a yearly tradition?

1 comment:

Laney said...

Looks so fun. How'd the crisp turn out? Gita is in my favorite age for kids. I'm dying to come play with your little mischievous girl. Where is my independently wealthy benefactor when I need them!?