Saturday, April 02, 2016

Liesel is EIGHT!!!

The photo shoot for Liesel's 8-year-old pictures is one for the record books. As she prepared to make covenants with her Heavenly Father in getting baptized, I felt photos around the temple would be apropos. I scheduled to have them between the Saturday sessions of General Conference, hoping the weather would warm up sufficiently. Somehow it did not occur to me that the grounds would be closed at that time. 

The weather was just insane. Driving to the temple we passed a couple of car accidents. It was snowing sideways due to the intense wind. When we arrived at the temple, the heavens opened. Right above us the skies were beautifully clear, while a bank of clouds darkened the horizon on every side. It was a miracle.

It was still windy and bitterly cold though. I told Liesel these pictures would last forever if she could just suck it up and give us a good smile. In gust after gust of frigid wind, she worked that camera like a boss. Looking at these pictures above, you'd think it was a sunny, balmy day. Just outside the gate was the best we could do at the temple, so we headed to a nearby nature preserve.

The sun was once again covered over by the bank of clouds and a snowstorm whipped up. We caught a few more pictures before retreating to the car to wait for it to ease up a bit. Again, it was snowing sideways.

I had hand-warmers and Liesel's coat nearby so after a few frames I'd rush in to warm her. She was positively shivering but determined to look beautiful for the camera. We had another brief glimpse of sun before it was completely gone. That meant the temperature dropped too.

Man she was such a trooper! I hated putting her through that misery but I was so impressed with her grit.

Even I was starting to freeze by these last two photos and was ready to call it a day. I thanked our photographer Kristy for being such a sport to push through despite conditions.

Even though we didn't have as many frames to choose from, I'm really happy with the pictures we did get. Like I promised Liesel, they will last forever.

Once we were back in the car we headed to the nearest Starbucks to get Liesel a caramel apple spice. My darling girl certainly earned it!!! We used the images over and over for her baptism... but I'll have to cover that excitement in another post entirely. Stay tuned!

No comments: