Saturday, June 11, 2016

Tiny Dancers


I actually had no intention of putting the girls back into dance just yet. However, a good friend has a daughter just between Liesel and Ireland's age, and she invited them to join her class for free one week. It was curtains after that, because the girls really wanted to take dance and I really wanted to get them back in tights and tutus. Brent took a bit of convincing, of course, but he ultimately relented.

The studio isn't the fanciest, but recitals are on Saturdays rather than Sundays which is perfect for our family. The owner really has a passion for working with special needs kids. The "physical therapy" numbers are actually the most touching-- you can hear many people sniffling back tears when they finish. Something about seeing little ones so proudly moving around the stage in their walkers and leg braces just brings the value of dance to a whole new level. I'm happy to support a studio with that kind of vision.

Brigitta's number was to Beauty and the Beast's "Tale As Old As Time" and she was crazy excited about her costume!!! The fluffy tutu, the gloves, the tiara... this one pretty much checked every box of Brigitta's dream dance costume. I can't help but admit- she was pretty stinkin' cute!




Brigitta had the good fortune of getting one-on-one classes from the owner. She adores Miss Chrissy! She also managed to snag "Mini Dancespiration of the Year". I wish I had video of how her sisters lit up at hearing she'd won and it melted my heart to see them so supportive of her. 

The part where the girls follow their teacher to the other side of the stage reminds me of baby ducks following their mama.



Ireland's number was to The Little Mermaid's "Part of Your World" and she worked particularly hard in her ballet class. She's a people pleaser, that one, and she always wanted her teacher to be happy with her effort.


Ireland also had fun being in class with her friends. There was a flurry of girly chatter and lots of mirror time on photo day. Aye mi, I hope this all fosters a healthy body image in my girls. I hope they find joy in how beautiful their bodies are and pride in what they can do!




Liesel's number was to... wait for it... Frozen's "Let it Go" and would you check out that costume? The day those things arrived in the studio and we had the girls try them on, they did NOT want to take them off! Liesel is all legs and knobby knees these days, and I love how her slim limbs look under that fluffy tutu. Liesel particularly had fun posing for pictures with that cape.



Ever the chatterbox, Liesel loved being in class with the girl who roped us into it in the first place. I really love the other dance moms and looked forward to chatting with them while the girls plied and chassed on dance night.



On the day of the recital, grandparents had the opportunity to send the girls a message backstage and they came on these sweet pinwheel flowers. I've never seen another studio do this, but it was such a fantastic way for them to be a part of the big day even though they couldn't make it.

For all of his grumbling about over-scheduling and fees and the inconvenience of it all, you could not wipe the smile off of Brent's face when he saw his daughters hit the stage. That man was one proud dance dad who scooped his girls up and showered them with roses. I thought I was their #1 fan, but I think he has me beat. 
I'm so glad the girls are back in dance!

No comments: