Friday, June 22, 2018

Iowa City

Due to pump repairs (or was it heater?), swim lessons were moved from Mercer to City Park. As a kid, we always preferred City over Mercer because it was outdoors and there was a high dive. 


One or two of those first swim lessons were a bit on the cool side, so I wasn't sure if the girls would ever warm to City Park. By the end of our two weeks, they were all begging to return to City Park next summer.


After all, it has a high dive!

Ireland's annual appointment with her asthma specialist went extremely well. I don't want to jinx it and say we are out of the woods yet but the last couple of years have definitely been much, much smoother.


Walking around that hospital gave me a new appreciation for the health we have. If you ever want to feel better about your lot in life, visit a hospital. If you really want to feel better about your lot in life, visit a children's hospital. Although I think it's sweet that the fans at Kinnick Stadium wave to the children at the hospital, I'm deeply grateful Ireland isn't sick enough to be one of them. 


It took us a long time to find her specialist, Dr. Randak, and I'm so grateful for him and the support staff at the hospital. Our lives changed drastically for the better once he entered the picture.

The girls rocked their penny grabs when we made deposits at the bank. The oldest three get a little competitive about how much money they're able to pack into their little fists.

We made sure to stop at Z'mariks.

I think I could live off of their z'fajita for the rest of my life. Even looking at this picture makes me happy!

Before leaving town to go on tour, Dad treated us to a ride in the Model A.

Glad my old man is still around to school me on the art of double-clutching. I almost got it... almost.

The t-shirts at Scheels are hilarious. Well, they are hilarious if you are from the area and get the jokes. I splurged on one that says, "Iowa City: Chicago's favorite suburb." 

Even though it is small, the Children's Museum is so well done! It's a great place to explore possible careers:

A place to let your imagination take flight:

A place to express yourself (in Legos, no less!).

And a place to create:

Another great thing about being in Iowa City is the girls get to be around Dakota. Sometimes only a dog can point out going for a run isn't as much fun as rolling around in the cool grass.

She's happy to keep you company if you just want to sit under the shade of a giant oak tree.

Dakota can also teach you a thing or two about a sassy walk.
Brigitta really cracks me up in that video!

Dakota's pretty darn patient with these girls, who I'm pretty sure wear her out with all their energy.

Another great visit to Iowa City in the books!

No comments: