Although we were able to catch the light show and fireworks the night before, I wanted something to really make our trip to Niagara Falls memorable. We made our way back into the States, navigated around construction sites to find on-street parking (no WAY was I going to pay $25 for an hour and a half!!!) and then walked to the loading dock. The girls were bummed about our Great Wolf Lodge experience coming to an end, they were tired and cranky from a frantic morning getting in every last water slide they could, and the heat sure didn't help any. I was worried the Maid of the Mist would be a bust and Brent would be annoyed at me for insisting we pay the money.
I was ridiculously excited to get our ponchos! The people handing them out even laughed at me. We slipped them on a little too early, and the plastic covering combined with the heat had the little ones complaining even more.
Once we staked out our spot on the boat, and it pulled away, the air cooled and the kids calmed. Seeing the waterfalls up close was really powerful. As we headed to Horseshoe Falls, the mist was so heavy it felt like rain and the wind whipped up at the base of the falls. I had to put my camera away and just enjoy the moment, rather than capture it in pictures.
I'll never forget the random duck hanging out at the base of the falls. Even though there were turbulent waters all around him, he just bobbed up and down like it was no big deal, like this was his space, like he had all the time in the world.
Almost everyone threw their ponchos away but I was keeping ours!!! The girls were sure happy to slip them off though and feel the misty air again.
Going back up, we were assigned Elevator 2 so I told the girls to throw up the deuces and I'd take a picture. Sydney didn't quite know what that meant.
Liesel wanted a picture with me at the top of the falls and Brent graciously took it for us where he could stand away from the edge. His fear of heights was tested during this trip.
Here is Ireland at a "Butt Depot"
Liesel pointing out the Indian Chief walking person.
And I loved how the IHOP signs in Canada have a little maple leaf in the O. There were SO many of them in downtown Niagara Falls. We counted at least 6 and my niece pointed out Canada is also known for their maple syrup so it fits rather nicely.
No comments:
Post a Comment