Saturday, July 27, 2019

Hamilton: The Exhibit

Confession: I have not yet seen Hamilton. But pretty much everyone I know has! It seemed like every family that moved from our ward over the summer made sure to see Hamilton before they left. Originally I wanted to take all the girls to see the exhibit. Even though it's cheaper than seeing the show, it was still pricey, so in the end I just took Liesel. It was nice to get some one on one time with her. The exhibit was fantastic- incredibly well done. When we walked out I wanted to see the Broadway production even more, if that's possible.

Because of the dim lighting, I couldn't take too many decent pictures but one of the things that impressed me the most was how Hamilton's writing abilities really opened up doors for him.

The display on 32,000 troops in New York harbor was stunning. Hearing it sung in lyrics is a lot different from seeing it on display like this.

The way the battle of Yorktown was shown was just incredible. Liesel and I were truly blown away. There was a table and the objects on top moved in and out as the battle unfolded in front of us. We wanted to go through again just to see it again. 

Here's the room showing the Hamilton-Burr duel. It was truly chilling the way it brought the whole even to life. 

As you can see, Hamilton did indeed have his glasses on.

 One of the final rooms was based on the song, "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story."

One wall was full of Post-Its where we could write our dream for America. 


You gotta expect some weirdos in an open forum, right?


Just before the very end of the exhibit, there was a room with nothing but quotes about Hamilton.

 Here's Liesel pondering the possibilities within herself while we waited in line.

We were handed 3-D glasses as we walked into a little theater at the very end and were ecstatic to find out we were watching the opening scene of the Broadway production with the original cast. Since there's absolutely no possible way we could ever see that now, it was a pretty sweet surprise. I guess now I can say I've seen a part of Hamilton, at least?
I'm so glad we went and took in the exhibit. Of course the best part was having time to connect with my sweet girl!

No comments: