Saturday, February 13, 2021

Toe Pick

 Our friends who live right by the lake invited the girls over to try out ice skating. Liesel was loaded with homework and I thought Sydney might be better once Ireland and Gita had the hang of it. They had shoveled off a nice section of the lake and I have to say I was geeking out at how cool it was for them to experience this. How many people can say they have gone ice skating on a frozen lake?

Apparently the very first thing you must learn in ice skating is how to fall down. Aim for the butt or the thighs so wrists don't get sprained and faces don't hit the ice. The girls had the opportunity to fall down a lot.


The big surprise was Brigitta who took to ice skating like a fish to water. Apparently her roller blading and ballet skills translated well because within minutes she was spinning around like it was nothing. I'm sure her devil-may-care attitude was an asset as well and my friend strongly urged me to sign her up for ice skating lessons. The sound of the skates cutting through the ice is just so cool to me!

With the temperature in the single digits, I thought they wouldn't last more than 15 minutes but the girls were out there for over an hour! There was no wind and they actually built up a sweat with all the skating. As soon as they were inside and they unlaced those skates, my friend started chipping off the built up ice and snow and vigorously rubbing them down. Turns out skates can rust- who knew! I fell all over myself thanking her for inviting us out to the lake. This family is so generous and they are the kind of generous where they honest to goodness don't think anything of it. It's just built in to who they are. 

The girls warmed up a bit while they snuggled with their ferrets and we went home so happy to have this incredible experience! 

No comments: