| Ireland was born on 3.14 and therefore prefers pie to cake for her birthday celebrations |
I have to admit, I went overboard on Ireland's birthday this year. In turning 11, she enters the same age that Harry Potter did when he received his first owl from Hogwarts and as she is a BIG Harry Potter fan, I wanted to do it up right. Ireland is a Ravenclaw- a very dedicated one at that. Check out this makeup look she did! Wit, learning and wisdom are Ravenclaw traits and their motto is "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
After a hearty farm breakfast in bed, she opened her gifts. One of them was a Ravenclaw suitcase that finally went on sale at Pottery Barn. Inside was the Hogwarts pinboard, a throw pillow that says, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" and lights up in the dark with the Marauder's Map, as well as a phoenix vanity mirror. Yeah, I went overboard. Not that she was complaining!
We wasted no time in hanging up that pinboard which ended up being waaay bigger than I thought it would be. It fits perfectly into this space and Ireland loves it along with all her other gifts.
It's the other gifts that actually put things into perspective for me. Brigitta has very little money to her name but days before Ireland's birthday she begged me to take her to Five Below so she could find something. Gita used her very own money and she really agonized over her options until she settled on a sketch book. She was so excited to give it to her sister and make her happy on her birthday.
Then there's Sydney who has absolutely no money to her name. Brent suggested maybe she could give her coupons and Sydney ran with the idea. I was blown away to discover one of the coupons was for Sydney to take care of her Saturday chores. All of the girls grumble about their chores but none more than Sydney. What could take her 20 min ends up taking an hour just because she is grousing and complaining so much. To see that she would willingly double her work to make her sister's birthday special was really... well, special.
The card she drew Ireland with Harry Potter and Luna Lovegood (a fellow Ravenclaw) just kills me!
Lastly was Liesel. She really thought about what she wanted to give Ireland. Over lockdown we pulled out some games that hadn't been played and one was Monopoly, which the girls loved. Liesel decided to create a Harry Potter version just for Ireland.
Let's take a closer look at that thing because man, it's pretty genius. I love the Free Socks and the Floo Network square with the feet dangling from the fireplace. That one of the squares is crashing into the Whomping Willow and another is Attacked by Fluffy- the whole thing is just a Harry Potter fans delight! Liesel worked really hard on this and was bummed she hadn't finished all the cards but it was enough to give Ireland an idea of the finished product.
I'm crazy proud of my girls for doing it right and teaching their mama a lesson about what really constitutes a gift. Ireland definitely felt the love her sisters showered on her and that is going to last much longer than anything I ordered from Pottery Barn.
We love this girl so much! She brings so much love and humor to our family.
Happy Birthday my darling girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment