Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Handcarts and Ice Skates

I'm embarrassed to say this is the first time I've visited the Mormon Handcart Park with the girls. It's a lovely little hike with lots of shade and Whitney joined us with Dakota. Since it wasn't too far of a walk, we all really enjoyed ourselves and I made a mental note to come back the next time we are in Iowa City.

The original painting of that image below hangs in my home ward- a member painted it.

Check out the vines climbing all the way to the top of this statuesque tree!


I shall be telling this with a sigh 
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
 two roads diverged in a wood and I--
  I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference! 
Robert Frost



 Brigitta makes me laugh! She was so proud of her newfound skill in dropping and catching a stick.

Brent and I were trying to figure out what generation of the church we and our girls are as our family history goes back to the pioneers on both sides. A call to my sister Katrina confirmed I am a seventh generation member which makes the girls an eighth!!! Most people with pioneer ancestors only are fifth but my great, great, great, great grandmother was the first to join the church. Her daughter (circled in red below) was actually mentioned in the book Saints and in the podcast #16 Not Doubting nor Despairing!

Sarah Ann Haigh and her mother were part of the Martin Handcart Company which experienced some of the most devastating losses of life on their journey west. I have to give this girl some serious moxie in helping others when she undoubtedly was struggling herself. So glad she got a shout out and that the girls have this connection with her.

After grabbing some lunch, we traded the heat for some ice. 

Brigitta and Ireland took to ice skating so quickly last winter, I figured all the girls would love this. It was immediately apparent that Sydney was incredibly unsteady on those skates so I got that dolphin to help steady her (and then everyone ended up using). 

They got a little conga line going.

Sydney clung to the sides when she first went out on the rink. Her whole ice skating experience did a 180* when she had a little something to hold onto.

Brigitta attacked the ice like everything else in life. She forgot a sweater so I loaned her mine and she preferred to have the sleeves whip around her rather than rolling them up. 

We met up with Whitney for dinner and talked dance. You are a true Iowa Citizen if you know how to pronounce this:

Brent isn't a fan so whenever we are in Iowa City without him we make sure to stop by. Sydney was rather excited, as you can see:

I had a good chat with my dad while my mom took Ireland out for a walk to help clear her lungs. My parents are getting older and it is becoming all too apparent there will be some rough waters to navigate as we try to keep them as healthy and independent as possible. I've heard this time of life is the toughest- obligations with children on top of obligations to ageing parents. 
But let's not borrow trouble from tomorrow- for now they are here. My girls get to spend time with them and make memories and for that I am incredibly grateful.

No comments: