Wednesday, November 30, 2022

November Tidbits

In a frenzy of holiday spirit, I inexplicably felt strongly that Ireland and Brigitta needed to have new bedding for Christmas. They already had pillowcases, but they needed the full treatment- their beds needed to look like they were straight out of the Pottery Barn catalog. Why? I'm not sure. But we tricked out their beds as soon as everything arrived and they enjoyed them all throughout the holidays.


On a rough day when I was in the middle of playing chauffer to the girls I spotted this shark sticking out of a garbage and it struck my funny bone something fierce. I drove by a couple of times, determined to get a good picture. Then after picking up the girls I drove them by again to make them laugh. I feel ya Mr. Shark... My day has been filled with nothing but rubbish too!

Ireland and I were watching Father of the Bride and there's a scene where George Banks says he realized Annie was leaving and he'd never see her at the top of the stairs in her socks. Overcome with sentimentality, I reached over and stroked her cheek. She wryly said, "I'm only 12 Mom, I'm not getting married."

Aunt Beck sweetly sent a package of goodies for the girls which also included candy necklaces. Gita and Sydney donned them immediately and munched on them throughout the day. I have to say I love the look! More importantly, we really adore Aunt Beck.

Brigitta got a ring stuck on her finger which rapidly began swelling up. Even with cold water, even with soap, even with oil, I could not get it off. I grabbed the wire snips from the garage and we ran downstairs, tears streaming down Gita's face. Brent managed to snip it off without pinching her finger and we threw the now-useless ring away. Crisis averted!

On November 8th we voted!

We had our first real snow and these two were pretty elated to put on all their gear and head out into the powder.


Sydney shuffled into the office and placed her American Girl Doll next to me. She told me she was there so I wouldn't get lonely while I worked. It's the sweetest, most innocent thing someone has done for me in a long time.

Somehow I got the Machiavellian idea to check in on the girls and see if they were doing anything nefarious. I figured if I acted like I already knew something, they'd confess. The text string to both of them went like this:

Me: You two are in BIG trouble! I think you know why...
Liesel: ??? messy room?
Me: I think we all need to have a talk when you get home. EXPECT TO BE GROUNDED!
Liesel: what?
Me: Seriously? You're going to play it off like we don't know? My sister is a professional hacker and we aren't idiots.
Liesel: I have no idea what you are talking about? what did I do?
Me: I think the bigger question is WHY DID YOU DO IT?!?!!!!
Ireland: what do you mean
Me: If we have to tell you, it's going to be a lot worse than if you just confess.

Well Ireland arrived home first and I told her I was just kidding- just checking to see if they were doing anything. She burst into tears saying she'd been stressing out about it since she saw the text message in class. Liesel started texting her begging to know what it was and then Ireland ghosted her. Liesel arrived home and I said, "Right- let's get Dad and talk about this" and she burst into tears as well. 

The best laid plans of Mice and Men...

They felt a little better when they found out I'd mentioned what I was doing to Reagan, who decided to try it on her daughter Paisley. Paisley responded, "I'm tryin dawg..." which got a laugh.

Absolutely no idea where Gita gets her money... or how she holds on to it for so long!

No comments: