Tuesday, April 02, 2024

Liesel's Sweet Sixteen

Liesel's 16th birthday was all about redemption. On the actual day, she was flying home from California with Ireland. A few days later, she got her traditional breakfast in bed.

She did tell Brent the cake she wanted but he could only find it in a small size. At the last minute he realized we were low on candles. It was pretty sad. We sang all the songs but I was visibly annoyed and that got to her and she ended up bursting into tears. She didn't want to sound ungrateful, but this for a 16th birthday? We could do better for our sweet girl. 

Luckily, 16th birthdays aren't all about cake! After logging twice the required driving hours, Liesel asked to practice parking on hills just one more time before going for her license. She was ready for her road test.


I have never, in my entire life, seen a DMV with absolutely, positively, NO line. She was off to a good start!
As she breezed back into the DMV with her instructor, she whispered, "Mom I passed!" and suddenly the people around me were giving me a wry smile. She looked so young, so happy, so hopeful. I dug out the edelweiss keychain her Aunt Whitney picked up years and years ago on a trip to Switzerland and then I fought to get a 3rd key fob for the Pilot. She was licensed and ready to go. 


We aren't going into debt for a new car or whisking her off on a trip to Paris like some parents in this area do to mark a 16th birthday. However we wanted to do something that would give her a nod to impending adulthood while keeping a watchful eye on her. Brent and I settled on a night in a super fancy hotel in downtown Chicago- The Langham. Brent and I had the adjoining room so we were right there just in case. Honestly? I'VE never stayed in a hotel that nice! The kind with slippers and robes and knowing it was Liesel's birthday they had chilled sparkling cider, water and a cake in a jar for her with a lovely hand-written card. 

We had the cake covered. Eager to make up for the previous cake, I overcompensated and ordered what ended up being a HUGE cake (it didn't look that big in pictures online!) and tons of long candles. I really went berserk on the candles and I ordered cream as well as multi colored. We should not run out of candles for the rest of all birthdays in this house. Ever. 

I bought her a sash and a tiara that said Sweet 16. I had a bag of decorations for her friends to do up the room and they did.


I wish I'd gotten a picture of the pool because it was really gorgeous with sparkling lights in the ceiling. The girls loved their own robes and just basking in some luxury. 

Brent and I enjoyed ourselves as well. We recreated Meghan Markle's photo in our robes.


The next morning I went for an early morning walk along the river, all the way to Lake Michigan

I loved the signs at a CVS near the Langham.


Chicago was just bursting with blooms! Look at these displays!



There were real flowers too- tulips all up and down Michigan Ave.


We just brought in pizzas for dinner but let the girls order room service for breakfast. Check out that spread! Somehow the little tray of different jams just makes me smile. 

Liesel and her friends went to the pool again, did a little shopping, went to a record store and then went to the Chicago Art Institute. Driving home, every one of them fell asleep. Liesel's Sweet 16 may have had a rough start, but it ended really well and she has some sweet memories to hold forever!

No comments: