Saturday, July 06, 2024

The Middle of the Northern Hemisphere

Somewhere in the depths of winter I came across a TikTok about how you can visit the center of the Northern Hemisphere in Wisconsin. We'd already driven across the 45th parallel when we went to Petoskey but this was even better- it was the center of the entire Northern Hemisphere! I saved the video and determined we would stop by when we picked up the girls from Spanish Camp. Was it out of our way? Yes. Was it an odd thing to stop for? Also yes. But when would we be closer? Let's have a little adventure!




There we were, halfway between the equator and north pole and a quarter of the way from Greenwich, England.

OK what you can't see so well is the path to get there was mired in mud and everyone's shoes are filthy. Still, there's something about being in that exact spot that feel unique and significant and yes, even powerful somehow.



I wanted to be in all 4 parts of the northern hemisphere at once. When else can you do that?


I wish I could figure out how to keep a video in slo-mo when uploading to YouTube. Gita looked pretty cool doing her cartwheel right along the 90th meridian!

Brent was game too.

We even made the trek to the La Quinta in Wausau to get the commemorative coin which it turns out is free. You do not need to dance around chanting, "La Quinta, La Quinta, La Quinta" in order to get it. I got a real funny look when I asked (that's what the TikTok video said!). It's a really nice La Quinta too. It looked brand new, the pool was really nice and everyone took the opportunity for a restroom break. I'm glad we took the time to see this- we really had fun!

No comments: