About a year ago I wanted to make a denim quilt with frayed edges so I carefully sewed up the quilt and then washed it. Even though I had pre-washed the denim (twice!) in hot water, the indigo bled and absolutely ruined the vibrant colors. I wrote about it in a post Quilting Fail
Part of the problem was the excessing fraying. Once I trimmed them, it looked a lot better but still, it just wasn't what I'd pictured in my head.
I had fallen in love with some of the fabrics from that original quilt and knew I could get more. However, it was Brent's turn to take Ireland to her asthma appointment in Iowa City. He kindly took the time to go to Kalona to track them down and get more for me. I found a few more fabrics that rounded out the colors. If I was going to redo this thing, I really wanted it to be perfect!
This time, I cut the circles first and washed them to get the fraying I wanted. I used a template and was much more careful with my seams. I added batting behind the squares so the whites would really stand out and to make it a bit softer and puffier. I wanted to have it done by the 4th of July but when that didn't happen, I was determined to finish it in the month of July and that I did!
THIS was the quilt I had in my head! Surprisingly, when the last quilt ended up being a disaster, Sydney told me she wanted to have it. I told her I knew I could do it better and promised she could have that version... whenever I got around to it. With this one finished, she wants to keep them both! I figured she would keep this one and give up the other one but nope- she loves them both.
I LOVE THIS QUILT! I love the cheerful fabrics and the quiet nod to the American flag's colors. I love that it's big and heavy and I love how it's infused with lavender water which I used when ironing (to the point everyone was practically gagging on it). It should never be washed- learned that lesson! But it's a lovely heirloom, for sure! Perhaps it sounds odd, but for my own emotional health, I needed to redeem that failure of a quilt. I needed to know that things can be made new again and the past can be left in the past. The future is still bright.
No comments:
Post a Comment