Friday, February 13, 2026

Prom Dress Shopping

This wasn't our first time at the rodeo when it comes to shopping for a Prom dress. This time we headed straight to Gipper Prom on a night when Liesel actually had a little time. We sifted through the aisles of massively immodest and overly embellished gowns and found a few that might fit the bill. At first she was rather quiet and I told her we could leave if she just wasn't feeling it. She said it was fine, she wanted to "get it overwith." Finally it was her turn to try on her selections. 

I did love this first one with the scalloped edging. It was Prom, for sure but it didn't look.... I dunno... special? I was kind of just a basic gown, pretty as it was. You can read my thoughts all over my face there in the background.


Next was the green dress and oh my.

Suddenly Liesel came alive. Her skin glowed as the green was a fabulous shade for her (green is her favorite!). Even though she said she wasn't fond of the corset tops this one had the pleated fabric to add a little more interest. I am really not a fan of sleeveless dresses because girls end up just tugging it up all night. The salesperson mentioned it had straps that could be hooked on and this might sound crazy (since they are just thin spaghetti straps) but it totally changed the look of the whole dress!

Last year we saw a different version of this dress which is a fun play on a tuxedo look. This year we both jumped at the chance for her to try it on and while it looked good, it was a true strapless dress with a slit that went sky high. Such a cute idea, and it was a contender, for sure. 

They didn't have this beaded dress in Liesel's siza available to try on, it was somewhere in the store but they couldn't locate it so they cinched the waist. We both agreed it was really pretty- but she did the beaded thing last year and she wanted something different this year. 

The final dress was another black dress that just had beading on the top. Like many dresses, there was a sky-high slit and I suggested she try sitting down in it. The sky high slit went even higher and she was visibly uncomfortable. By now we were both leaning toward either the green dress or the tuxedo dress.  

Liesel decided to try the green dress on again while I sent pictures to the family and my sisters. Pretty much everyone loved the green dress but it was when I called my sister Whitney that it was decided- the green dress was the winner. I can't tell you what unadulerated joy it gave me to hand the phone to Liesel and watch her smile, laugh and pose while chatting with her auntie who loves her so very much! Then I got a look at the price which was on sale and about 25% the cost of last year's dress. Brent told me to run to the register- haha! We snagged it and she's going to look just beautiful!

No comments: