Saturday, March 22, 2008

March Madness

I don't keep much from my husband... come to think of it, I can't think of ANYTHING I keep from him. Yet here I am hunkered down in our bedroom typing furiously to get this post in. I don't even know if he'll allow it to stay up so this is for you fortunates who are able to check in on me before my husband does. March has many meanings for many people. Ides of March, "in like a lion, out like a lamb", St. Patrick's Day, etc.. For me it means a new addition to our family. But for the other Wuehler in this particular household, it means basketball.

Brent becomes a different person when he watches basketball. In saying that, I don't mean I see a new facet of his personality when he watches basketball. He's an entirely different person. He sets up his brackets, tirelessly coaches me on mine, watches as many games as he can and gives me the up-to-date information he thinks I'll be interested in. Not only that, but he starts talking to... well I'm not sure. Oftentimes I'm not in the room so I know it's not me. I THINK it's the tv. It could be his other personality (the non-March Madness one). Usually it's when something has happened he doesn't approve of. Every so often I hear something along the lines of, "Come ON ref, if you didn't call the other one you shouldn't be calling this one" "That guy should NOT have hooked him... that's illegal." If he's really upset its "That's GARBAGE!" If you know Brent, you know this is pretty strong language for him.

Last night he asked what I'd like to do and I told him I could watch a dvd on the laptop in our bedroom so he could catch some games. He was doubtful and for good reason. I have more hormones in me than a teenage boy so my own personality can uh, well, fluctuate a tad. I looked my love in the eyes and told him I was having a sane moment and he'd better take it before I become insane again. That's all he needed. He set me up, kissed me on the cheek and stroked my hair and then ran into the other room. No kidding. We live in an apartment so getting to the other end of the place isn't all that hard but he RAN.

As for me, I'm going to just wait this one out. Watching game after game of (apparently) bad calls and bracket busting upsets is a bit much for me but it makes him inexplicably happy. Someday, my husband will return!

2 comments:

Reggs said...

HA HA HAAAAAAA!!!! You know what is awesome about Brent? He has PASSION! He does nothing half-hearted. That is why I love this story, and my favorite line HAS to be..."THAT'S GARBAGE!"
I think I will have to use that phrase more often.
As for march madness, I always end up picking some team that makes it pretty far and then other people are annoyed at me because, "she doesn't even care".
I heard on the news that some college estimated that US companies lose over 5.2 billion dollars in poor productivity during March Madness. Something to think about!

russia boy said...

I TOTALLY REMEMBER THAT!!! Dave is standing right here and said, "Ya, he went CRAZY when he watched basketball!" I remember being at Alpine 15 and the first March Madness I witnessed, I thought Brent was talking to me, so I would answer. But, after a few times of no response, I decided this was just a "Brent Thing." I loved that about him. He was so into it. It is like watching Dave watch football...I guess these accountants have to have a sports outlet....