From there you turn the corner and walk the bridge that crosses the Massachusetts Turnpike. With the cars speeding below your feet you encounter the guy selling programs, then the guy with the sandwich board telling you the end of the world is near. There's usually the guy playing the plastic containers turned on end as makeshift drums. You walk past the Cask N' Flagon where alcohol has intensified the excitement. One last turn onto Lansdowne Street to find your gate and you are met with the overwhelming ballpark aroma. Soft pretzels, bratwurst and nachos oh my! In spite of my efforts to avoid the fattening Fenway Franks and soft serve in a mini-baseball helmet I immediately salivate at the smell. "When in Rome..." I think to myself.
Brent has Liesel in the snugli. For the occasion we have her dressed in her onesie tha
My love affair with the Red Sox began many years ago. When I moved to Boston it was immediately apparent this was a baseball town. Coming from Iowa where football is the flavor of choice when it comes to sports I had to learn all about the Red Sox and their history. Why the Yankees were so hated. What the "curse" meant and why not to mention the name Billy Buckner in mixed company. Who Ted Williams was and why there's a tunnel named after him in the Big Dig. Like so many before me, I too wanted to be a part of this story and began to follow the team. As my time in Boston continued, frustrations with my dating life did too. I always had dates, but finding my eternal companion had eluded me as much as the World Series Championship had eluded the Red Sox. I found a parallel in that no matter how hard we tried, it seemed in the end something was against us.
A few months later the Red Sox made it into the playoffs as the wild card. Okay Heavenly Father... you caught my attention. They beat the Angels in game after spectacular game. I'm listening Heavenly Father... with rapt attention! After humiliating losses to the Yankees they rallied in game 7 of the playoffs for a 10-3 win. Not only did it secure them a place in the World Series, but it has been called the greatest comeback in baseball history. Wow Heavenly Father, you really DO hear prayers! By then the locomotive was in motion and was not to be stopped. The Red Sox didn't just win the World Series. They SWEPT the World Series, reversed the curse, went down in history and became world champions; all on my birthday, October 27th of 2004. You may think it sounds ridiculous but it's almost as if Heavenly Father was saying, "Okay Danika, this one's for you." Oh yes, I became a believer.
Interestingly enough I didn't marry the guy I watched this momentous event with and was dating at the time. Less than two years later, I married someone infinitely better for me. Going back to Fenway with my fabulous husband and adorable baby was almost a spiritual experience. I had my family, and my Fenway frank too!
3 comments:
omgosh! the red sox totally owe you. if it hadn't been for your prayer...who knows??
Love the video. I love how the Bostonians change the lyrics for "root for the RED SOX". They are hard core!
I am glad that you guys were able to go. It looks like you had a really great time. There is nothing like a baseball game; America's favorite past time. I love going to the A's games and tailgating before hand. I wish they had a good major league team here. All we have are the Orem Owls. =0(
I love the video at the end!!!! I am hoping to make it out your way in either Oct or Nov. Too bad it will be after the season is already over. I would love to experience a game with you guys. Maybe next year?
ps...thanks for the comment Danika :)
Post a Comment