Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Behind the Times

Confession: I'm not on Facebook and don't ever plan to be. We had a focus group of students who came to my company to review collateral and give feedback and one whole session focused on social media. Not only was it the liveliest of the focus groups, but one of the most bizarre in my opinion. Most of the students agreed Facebook was best used for "stalking" people. No lie, that's the term they used. I don't want to be stalked. They also agreed it was a huge time waster. I don't like wasting time. They went into great detail about the different applications and games they played. They also mentioned it was very addicting. No thanks, I already have a problem with my love of shoes, I shouldn't pick up another obsession. My intention here is not to offend, just to explain myself. I spend the majority of my waking time on a computer, why would I spend my leisure time on it too? Just not my cup of tea.

While visiting family over the summer I was severely chastised by my sisters for not being on Facebook. One visibly flinched when I told her I didn't have time to waste "harvesting" crops on Farm Town. Both of them have found long-lost friends through Facebook. This may sound snooty, but those who want to be in contact with me already ARE. They both reminded me even my parents are on Facebook; indicating if even the Boomers are into it, I shouldn't be rebelling against it as a Gen Xer. Somehow I just can't do it. I already have a fear of internet peeping toms who are granting themselves access to the private corners of my life. And yes, I know you can make your profile private. Why make a profile at all then?

Recently on the news a police officer talked about how sites like Facebook are their geatest friends. They've found parole breakers and people blogging about the laws they've broken... even people violating restraining orders. One guy told me when he's hiring he checks out all prospective employees on Facebook. One of them had photos of himslf with a huge bag of weed. He didn't get the job. I've been told there's one person at my company who regularly updates her Facebook during work hours with messages like, "Only four more hours until I'm out of here!" That just seems unprofessional to me. Facebook isn't for me I guess. Call me Greta Garbo... I just want to be left alone. Don't even get me started on Twitter. Do you really care if I've just taken a dump and am wondering if eating Indian and Greek food in one day is a good idea? Didn't think so.

Nevertheless, I was blown away by this clip about social media and wanted to share... Even if I'm not on Facebook, I still want to do my part you know :)



If you can't see the whole screen, link here

4 comments:

Katrina said...

*raises hand* I am Danika's sister. I am also on Facebook. It's like getting little Christmas Cards all year from people that I love but don't have time to spend an hour chatting with on the phone.

I am in communication with most parts of the USA, France, Portugal, Denmark, India, Norway and some small islands off of China. I love access to information. I. Am. a Facebooker. I love the downtime, and feel that anyone who has some self control can be in touch and not out of control.

So say I. It's like insisting that going natural is better than an epidural. Sure you can do it, but why?! *hops off soapbox*

Gonna go watch an inspiring message that Cathy Driscoll wrote about the First Presidency Message on her facebook page...

EmmaLee said...

Danika,
I am totally on board with you! I think facebook would just be another thing to waste my time and be addicted too. And it is totally true that if I really cared about you I would stay in touch with you anyways. I hope to never be a facebooker! All of you who are, enjoy, I do not hate you, I just don't want to be one of you!

Chelsea said...

just one question: could you please tell me how you really feel about FB? ha. my brother feels like same way you do. i'm like, come on, it's a great way to keep in touch with cousins and each other. he was not motivated by getting in touch w/ all of our HS friends, either. i'd say i'm a FB addict now, but only b/c i have games on there. before that, i was a once-a-monther. i'm trying to wean myself off again, but on boring days and since we don't have cable/satellite, it sure is nice to have a way for some brainless electronic fun

Reggs said...

O. M. G.
Just reading this makes me realize that you don't really understand how facebook works at all. Just another post where you are patronizing from afar.

Before you start feeling awesome that you don't harvest a virtual field, realize that you have your time wasters that the rest of us don't wallow in, and yet, choose not to judge. *ahemNETFLIX, ahemBIGGESTLOSER*