
After Ireland was born I received a mailing from Harvard's Psychology Department asking if she could take part in a study. It was the exact same one that came soon after Liesel was born. Unfortunately, I was never able to take Liesel in. Aside from healing, I was hosting family, adjusting to a newborn, and before I knew it my maternity leave was over. I didn't want to pass up the opportunity again so this morning the girls and I headed down to Harvard Yard (and yes, I paaahked the caaah). Personally I think the two make a fascinating study for sibling relationships. Can you really love someone to death? But the researchers had something else in mind.
It was a fairly simple study. They wanted to see how infants react to different groups interacting. Ireland watched a group of circles dancing together and then a group of squares. They filmed Ireland so they can study her reaction when the circles and squares intermixed. I had to close my eyes so I wouldn't bias her but I'm told she wiggled her feet a lot. For the records, I have nothing against either circles or squares... or dancing. While I was with Ireland, a researcher played with Liesel and then we picked out a thank you toy for both girls. I also got $5 for travel compensation which I'll just slip into Ireland's 529 plan. Ireland was perfectly pleasant and Liesel didn't want to leave the lobby which had tons of toys.
Here's a pic of the girls with their spoils:
Those are pretty intelligent stuffed animals to be attending Harvard:
2 comments:
That sounds awesome and you would think they would put glasses on their animals to make them look more like Harvard material :) I would love to see a study done on adopted full siblings and see what their reactions are in relationship to biological full siblings...hmm...
cute story, cute bunnies and cute girls. Ireland has gotten WAY TOO BIG! Waaah! Her eyes are intense. And Liesel has the most hilarious grin! I love her "Shrek ears" hairdo.
Post a Comment