Materials:
* A 2" heavy duty binder with plastic front insert. Like Katrina, I color-c
ode these for each child: pink for Liesel, yellow for Ireland.
* A nylon binder pencil case (while I was at it, I also grabbed a pen and mechanical pencil in the same color. If it ends up in my purse somehow, I know exactly where it belongs)
* A notebook with 3-ring punch
* If your binder doesn't come with folder flaps on the inside, a binder folder for loose materials
* Plastic page protectors (we buy in bulk from Costco)
* Plastic business card holder sheet
* Plastic sheet with pockets (2 per page)
* 5x7 photo of each child
1. In the nylon pencil case I put the little immunization card given at birth, a pen and pencil.
2. The notebook which is of course for taking notes during the appointment.
3. In the plastic card holder sheet I put the business card of every Dr starting with my OB-GYN (should anyone need to get a hold of birth info). I also have insurance cards (both current and
former), hospital id cards and the nearest pharmacy where I prefer to pick up prescriptions.4. Then I began filling in the page protectors. Because I had all the girls medical information handy, I created an excel spreadsheet of Dr's visits with columns for Date, Well/Sick, Age, Weight (lbs), Height (in), Head Circumference (in) and Notes. If there was a sick visit, I made sure to include the reason for the visit in the notes.
5. I found a website that provides excel spreadsheets which plots height, weight and head circumference when you input the data (found here). I update the info and print out those charts after each visit.
6. The plastic sheets with pockets were the perfect size for ultrasound photos.
7. Next I put in a page protector the birth record and copy of birth certificate. My sister also includes a copy of her kids SSN card but I'm too paranoid about identity theft to do that. I also can't think of a medical situation when it would ever be required but if you want to be thorough, to each his own!
8. Patient summaries of any ER visits. Liesel's binder even has copie
9. Privacy policies. I'm not a litigious person, but I like to have this around to make sure I know my rights.
10. Finally, I used my label maker to clearly mark each binder. I put some fun scrapbook paper in the front insert and taped the 5x7 photo right in the middle. Should I leave it in the waiting room, a kindly stranger might know it's mine just based on the photo of my girl.
I dropped a small fortune at Staples to get all the materials and make copies. Putting everything together took an afternoon of hunting it all down and assembling. I was curious to see if my hard work would pay off at the girls first visit to their new pediatrician. Did it ever! To say the Dr was impressed would be an understatement. She said she had never seen someone so organized and even asked what I'd done before becoming a SAHM. When I told her I'd worked in Finance, she was surprised I wasn't in the medical field. I was able to definitively answer every question she had (which was a lot for a first visit with both girls!). She even ended up referencing the height, weight and head circumference charts I'd plotted just for a history.
While I was gathering information for the medical binders, I noticed we had a lot of documents that weren't necessarily medical in nature, but were nonetheless important. While I was at Staples, I bought an extra 2" binder in the colors I'd selected for each girl. I filled them with page protectors and plastic sheets with pockets. This is where I put hospital bands from labor and delivery, family predictions on height, weight and time of delivery, notes and cards that accompanied flowers sent after birth, the card from Katrina describing in detail the quilt she made for each girl, birth announcements in the church bulletin, savings bonds from the grandparents, blessing certificate, blessing notes (taken by both grandmothers), locks of hair from the first haircut, Build-A-Bear certificates (they have to go somewhere!), and notes about the psychology studies the girls have participated in. If there's a fire, we can quickly grab the brightly colored binders and we should be all set.Someone once told Katrina she could make a fortune selling these to new mothers and she just smiled and shook her head. Katrina has (of course) moved on to her next project...
5 comments:
I have loved this idea when I first read it from Katrina. I love the changes that you made to adjust to your cute little girls. I am keeping this in my "to do" list for one day in the future :) Thanks for sharing!
What an awesome idea! It sounds a lot nicer than running around like a crazy person looking for the immunization booklet before each appointment.
You're amazing! I have so much to learn...you are still coming to see us one day in June, right?? Maybe you should stay three or four days and teach me everything you know...
i heart my medical binder. i just keep one for the whole family and use dividers. each person has a tab for the detailed history where we list each well/sick visit and prescription refills and the rare procedure/surgery. [made the charts in excel because excel rocks, as you know.] then there is a section for a copy of the medical history, similar to the sheet they make you fill out at the doctor every time you have a physical. then i have sheet protectors for immunization records and random pictures, like ty's colonoscopy and soon to join that, the pix of his stomach and intestines. pretty exciting stuff. :)
oh and the detailed history lists how much each visit cost and how much it would have cost w/o insurance b/c i'm that much of a nerd and love to see how much i save. it always reminds me how grateful i am for awesome insurance.
You did it better than me little sis! I love yours! Super cute with the spring photos. :D Lovin' it, just lovin' it!!! Well done. And may I congratulate you on your wisdom to listen to your big sis. :D
Post a Comment