I frantically finished Piper's quilt so quickly I didn't have any time to take decent pictures or blog about it. My sweet so sweet sister Reagan had amazing photos taken and recently sent them to me so now I have a chance to record the thought process and symbolism I put into the quilt. I need to give absolute reverence to Debbie Lee who did the actual machine quilting on top of what I'd done and turned it from something that looked pretty good into a masterpiece. I'll be paying homage to her throughout this post. Ready? Here we go!

My modus operandi when quilting is to make it one of two sizes: large or huge. I've never been able to do a baby quilt or a lap quilt or a sampler or anything like that. It just seems so small and apologetic, I have to keep adding borders until it's bigger! I designed Piper's quilt to be just about a standard twin size which is actually pretty small for me. Given the time crunch, I was okay with it though-- especially given the method I used for quilting. To get exactly the effect I wanted, I decided to try my hand at needle-turn applique. Never mind the fact I'd never done needle-turn, let alone ANY kind of applique before. Still, this is my chosen (if insane) creative process and after viewing a couple of YouTube videos on the subject, I charged doggedly ahead. I ran out of supplies mid-project and had to make a stop at one of the many Amish quilting stores out this way. When I showed the shop ladies what I'd done they stared at me like I had lobsters growing out of my ears. All needle-turn? Yes, all needle-turn. One ventured to mention there was an easier way to do it. Yes, I could just machine applique it but this was a special project; something that was meant to be an heirloom.
When I visited Maryland during Spring Break, I took Piper to the local quilt store and let her pick out a fabric. I didn't tell her what I was going to do with it and I didn't direct her decision. She ended up choosing this gorgeous ombre purple. All of this was intentional because I find that's often how faith works. We do something not necessarily knowing the outcome. When it comes to living the gospel, the outcome is always more stunning than we could have imagined. With purple fabric in hand, I stumbled upon the ombre yellow fabric and the wheels in my head started spinning. I had images enlarged at the local copy store and then cut them out of thick plastic with an exacto knife. My intention is to use these templates over again when I make baptism quilts for my own daughters when they are of age.

First of all, the quilt needed to have Piper's name on it. Not only does that keep it from getting stolen, but it's immediately more personal. Our Heavenly Father loves us and knows us by name so Piper's name is right there at the top. In looking at background fabrics, I found one with a flower pattern on it. The Maryland state flower is the black-eyed Susan and the floral pattern was a nice way to tie that in. Obviously I wanted white for the background because it would help the two other colors stand out and because white is the color of purity. Baptism purifies us and washes us clean from sin. I wanted the quilt to represent Piper's spiritual journey through life. I decided to have a symbol from her Primary, Young Woman and adulthood eras of life.
 |
| Debbie Lee embellishment: Next to the CTR she quilted "I Know the Scriptures are True" |
 |
| Debbie Lee embellishment: Next to the YW flame she quilted "I am a daughter of God and he loves me" |
 |
| Debbie Lee embellishment: Next to the Angel Moroni she quilted "Stand ye in holy places and be not moved" |
 |
| Debbie Lee embellishment: By the Angel Moroni and beneath the above quote she also did this medallion of the SLC temple. |
The dove of course represents the Holy Ghost as recorded in the scriptures from when Jesus Christ was baptized. I searched through dozens and dozens of images of the number 8 and finally found one where I could have the two main fabrics intertwining. Per tradition, Piper is being baptized at the age of accountability which is 8 years old. But if you turn the 8 on it's side, it becomes the symbol for infinity and her decision to be baptized is one that has eternal blessings.
 |
| Debbie Lee embellishment: She added a birthday cake next to the 8 with 8 candles and notice how the inside of the 8 is filled with repeating 8s! Genius!!! |
At my request, Debbie Lee also quilted John 14:26 into the border. At the bottom center she also quilted I am a child of God. Little did she know Reagan had prepared a video of Piper growing up and it was set to the music of I Am a Child of God.
 |
| Debbie Lee embellishment: To emphasize the floral background she added more of them along the border. |
Turns out finding a fabric for the backing was a bit of a challenge. There are lots of yellow and blue prints, but not many yellow and purple. Finally I came across this tulip print which was perfect. I did the binding in the purple ombre but because I cut it so thin it doesn't stand out much.
Katrina made the label which includes this image of a child in heavenly white. She tells me the photographer creates this effect by having kids jump on a trampoline so they look like they are descending from heaven. Other contributors to the quilt were my parents and Whitney. Believe me, it was given to Piper with a whole lotta love!

To be honest, I could go on and on about what I would do differently and how it's not quite perfect and how I burned my fingers, ran out of bobbin thread, sewed, ripped out and sewed again the binding, etc.. For now I think I'll just let the quilt speak for itself. I was so happy to give it to Piper when she was in the hospital and I truly believe it offered her some measure of comfort. And after all, that was the whole point all along, right? Piper's baptism has been rescheduled for this Saturday and I believe Reagan is planning to display the quilt and read my explanation of the symbolism. I so desperately wish I could be there myself but clearly the love and intention is there, stitched into every quarter inch of fabric.
5 comments:
amazing!!!!
I was so hoping you'd show more of the quilt. Its so beautiful! I love all the thought and effort you put into it. Thank you for sharing all the details.
It's beautiful! You did an amazing job on it. Debbie Lee is the best. She has 3 of my projects. :-)(small projects) ha! Love the colors and the symbolism. Well done and as your sister said to me stand back and say good job!
Something Piper will always treasure! Well done.
Very cool and very special. Brilliant.
Post a Comment