Tuesday, November 05, 2013

It's Been a Year.


Today marks the day the girls and I moved to Iowa City to begin our time as caretakers of my parent's home while they serve their mission in South Africa. Plenty of people let us know they thought it was a colossally bad idea. "Get out of it" was a resounding theme we ran into even though the decision was made and well, Brent and I feel strongly about not going back on our word. The voices were much fewer in number, but we had a small core of people who absolutely supported us and understood our dedication to help further missionary work. One dear friend of mine told me if anyone she knew could do the single mom thing with 3 kids, it was me. She'll never know how much her vote of confidence meant to me.

Over the past year, I've come to define and redefine the word "hard." Just when I thought things couldn't get more challenging, life would throw me a curve ball. Extreme weather, illness and of course the unexpected (NOT unwanted!) pregnancy have often made me feel like I'm sinking into a very dark abyss. There have been oh so many days when I felt like I just couldn't give it one more ounce of energy. But somehow I did. Yes it was hard, but we got through it. There have been many little miracles that have let me know I am not truly alone and I have some great support from friends and family. For example, Liesel has never been late to school. That may sound like a little thing but being on time is a really, REALLY big deal to me. Many a morning I look at the clock and just know we won't make it but somehow we do. Tender mercies.

I've tried not to complain much for fear of the told-you-so naysayers jumping down my throat. More than anything I'm so grateful for those friends and family who believed in us from the beginning. Reagan is ready to take on one of my vents at a second's notice. She also has an uncanny ability to send me random, hilarious YouTube clips that not only leave me laughing but determined not to take myself so seriously. Joey sends text messages just letting me know he loves me. A lonely mom needs to hear that now and again! Katrina never says goodbye to me after a phone conversation without letting me know how amazing I am and how she thinks I'm a good mother. Logan always checks in with me after major storms to make sure the house is sound and I'm okay. Whitney also repeatedly checks in on me. Make no mistake, the entire Nielsen clan is supporting me ergo supporting my parents on this venture. Man I love my family!

There have been some surprises along the way. Remember, Brent and I were apart for the better part of 5.5 months when we made the move from Boston to Chicago. We felt we knew pretty well what we were getting into. There have been some distinct differences:


  • Everyone talks about how a mission flies. I guess after a certain point it did for me when I served. I've heard my parents talk about how time flew for them when one of us kids were out in the field. That just plain doesn't hold true when you're the kid and caretaker of things back home. This year literally feels like it's been three. The time has dragged and dragged and dragged. Perhaps the second half will speed up a bit?
  • As hard as it is for me, often it's harder on Brent. I thought he would really love his bachelor pad where I wasn't bugging him to put his mountain of papers away or to come to bed (he believes he needs no sleep) or incessantly checking ESPN. When things have been difficult for me, Brent's hands are tied and he's mentioned often how frustrating that is for him. More than once I've seen him tear up as one of the girls recounts something that happened during the week that he missed. 
  • The weekends are busier than the weekdays. We usually have 1 car and an extremely limited amount of time to get the house in shape for the upcoming week. This includes groceries, laundry, errands and somehow there is always something that needs to be done for the house. Throw in church (and the attendant obligations) and some family activities and the weekend is over. We've become disciples of Date Night which wasn't always such a big deal to us. Now it's an absolute necessity to have time once a month to just be together and discuss our family, our dreams, our own relationship, etc.  
  • I can survive without sleep. Recently I told my sister-in-law if I were ever taken prisoner and my captors tried to break me by using sleep deprivation, I'd be rock solid. Even after the babies started rolling in, I've always been a believer in 8.5 hours of sleep. There are tons of studies out there about how Americans don't get enough sleep and how many negative side effects that creates. After a year, Brigitta still doesn't sleep through the night. Throw on some illnesses and a shrinking bladder as my pregnancy progressed and I haven't had a decent 8.5 hours of sleep since we moved. But I've managed to survive. 
  • The girls would step up. Like any kids they have their days, but they have stunned me with how much they've been able to take on responsibility for themselves and each other. I simply can't do everything myself and the girls have learned oh so many things to help things run smoothly. I'm so proud of them. I've also learned that kids need their dad. We do okay without Brent, but the whole family dynamic shifts when he's around. These girls love their daddy and they simply couldn't do without him. They are keenly aware of Thursdays and always ask me to tell Daddy to come say hi to them when he gets home. The notes he leaves for them on Sunday night are the first thing they run to on Monday morning. 
  • I don't know how to relax. Remember how my "one word" for 2013 was BREATHE? Yeah, I can say I didn't even remotely accomplish that one. Something about me is wired for projects that often make no sense given my time and energy restraints.
The remaining year of my parents mission will be filled with many more changes for our little family: a new baby, travelling to South Africa, buying a home, reuniting our family (FOR GOOD!!!), etc.. We've learned so much from this past year and we have so much hope for the year to come! More than anything, we're happy my parents are having so many amazing adventures and helping to further the work of the gospel. The blessings have definitely trickled down.

2 comments:

Sylvia-Louise said...

I admire your strength and devotion to your family. And I LOVE You!

Laney said...

Your friend was right - you're one of the strongest people I'll ever know. You've handled everything this past year so amazingly well! Hopefully 2014 will be a calmer year for you all.