The organizers really did that Joy to the World theme right. Turns out those crafts for the kids were stations in classrooms throughout the building and each one had a theme for a different country. For Germany, they got to decorate their own gingerbread (ie graham cracker) house and let me tell you, no one wanted to leave that one. You'd think a table full of different colored frosting and candies would descend into anarchy with little kids but it was the happiest place on Earth. For England, the girls colored Christmas crackers and we were given little trinkets for the interior. To finish them off, we tied the ends with ribbon. Sweden was represented by creating St. Lucia wreaths and let me tell you, little kids were wearing those proudly all evening. The creme de la creme was Mexico for which a pinata was hung in the lobby. I sadly was not able to get any photos of any of this because while I managed one baby, Brent managed the other. Oh how I wish I had video of that pinata!!! When it finally broke, there was a breathless hush before all those sweet primary kids descended on that candy like locusts.
At each station, they gave us a little information card to read later.
How lovely is that?
In the other lobby, there were pictures with Santa. I have no idea where the tree, presents, fireplace or chair came from, but whoever brought them had it packed up and gone lickety split when the party was over.
Brigitta was still too terrified of Santa to take a picture with him, but Sydney sat there and hung out for a while. When the photographer told her to smile, she tried so hard to make her face squish into a smile. Somehow she ended up looking a little worried but it was so cute to see her try.Dinner was sooo amazing! Two choices of ham: glazed or not, the red jello stuff with the pretzels on the bottom, funeral potatoes (you have to have funeral potatoes!) and rolls. Desserts followed the Joy to the World theme and there was black forest cake, trifle, and flan not to mention assorted cookies and cupcakes. Both Sydney and I loooooved the black forest cake which was ordered specially. At one point, I was deep into the conversation at our table and Sydney gripped the tablecloth so she could drag the plate closer to her.
While we ate, images of Christmas around the world were projected onto the screen above the manger on the stage. Did I mention they had real tablecloths? And adorable centerpieces! I'm told some of the organizers took time off of work to get them just right. There were Christmas trees in all corners of the room and can we just talk about this for a minute?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!? I have no idea how they got all that up there or where the blow up globe came from, but when they dimmed the lights during dinner, the twinkle lights wrapped in the silky organza streamers looked just stunning. The room was literally all aglow.
After dinner there was a program and the primary children sang a couple of songs.
Really, Ireland? Couldn't we try for a touch more class than scratching your belly during the song? Well okay, winter is extremely dry around here. But let's at least wipe your face before you go up next time.
There was a solo in Hawaiian, a duet in Italian, a little quartet in English which everyone joined in and Santa made a wooden Santa dance with no hands!
Here's our little family (you can see the centerpiece in the lower left corner). Brigitta is wearing the sparkly beret since her hair looks like a chia pet gone wrong after she cut it. Luckily it fit in with the festive theme. I'm holding my second (okay third) plate of the black forest cake which Sydney is clearly eyeing. Black forest cake... *drools* YUM!
What the organizers managed to do best was create an environment that felt like we were a ward family- just like the invitation says. Everyone was so happy just to be a part of the festivities. We've attended many different wards since we've been married, but Brent and I truly feel like we've found our ward "home". I love these people and I'm grateful just to rub shoulders with them.









No comments:
Post a Comment