Monday, September 26, 2016

Sweet Home Chicago

Our time in Utah was amazing. I was able to focus on Liesel and connect with her in a way I've never been able to before. I learned a lot about her as we drove up and down the Wasatch Front. We made some incredible memories together. Liesel probably could have stayed another week without batting an eye. For my part, I was incredibly homesick. I craved my own bed and I missed my family. When we finally left Dave and Janeal's, it was pitch black and the stars were so brilliant Liesel gasped and cried, "Look!" Orion was blazing right in front of our eyes just over the crest of the mountain. It was a beautiful end to our time there.
I had Liesel take charge while we were in the airport. She found the security line, the gates, rental car counters and even our seats. She is a road warrior in the making. At 4:30 AM I only nudged her awake and when I returned from the bathroom she was dressed and her backpack was all packed and ready to go. She's not such a little girl anymore.
 The sun was just rising as we took to the skies.
 O'Hare never looked so good!
 Flying with the jet stream meant we landed 30 minutes early which is just when Brigitta's preschool was getting out. I knew it would be a while until my father-in-law could get to us, so before leaving the terminal, we had one last mother-daughter date. I was pretty sick of eating out, but Liesel loved her spaghetti and meatballs at Macaroni Grill.
We talked all about the upcoming Dork Diaries movie and who Liesel thought should be cast as Nikki, MacKenzie and Brandon. She seemed immune to the exhaustion I was having as well as the anxiousness to get home. 

Before we left Utah I pitched the idea to Brent that perhaps this is a trip I should take with all the girls after they turn 8. We usually have sufficient frequent flyer miles to make it possible, so it's really just a matter to making a point to do it. Getting Liesel exposure to family, BYU and the church was more important than even I realized at the outset. Brent agreed that it might be a good idea...

As sad as I am the fun is over, I feel like now I have a trip with Ireland to look forward to!

No comments: