Our elementary school has a monthly Library Night. Aside from checking out books, sometimes teachers do story time, sometimes there are raffles for books, and sometimes there is a guest. We don't often go since they are always right when Brent gets home from work and I'm exhausted from holding down the fort during the witching hours.
Days before this month's Library Night, Liesel and Ireland were pleading with me to go. Much as I tried to understand the appeal for this particular night, I just couldn't quite wrap my head around it. Dr. Seusses nephew... poetry... Liesel and a few other kids got to have lunch with him... something like that. Seeing my girls so enthusiastic about it made me think perhaps there was something special about this one.
Was there ever. Turns out the guest speaker was Bill Buczinsky who had those kids eating out of the palm of his hand. He'd say something like, "Power to the poet" and the kids would all answer "Power to the poet!" while pumping fists in the air. I've never seen such crowd control among little kids- it's like he was the Pied Piper. Bill invited anyone who wanted to read poetry to line up for the microphone. Many had been working on their poems all week but for those kids who hadn't written anything, he knelt beside them and fed them words of classic poets. When one froze in terror, he whipped up enough audience enthusiasm to get him through it. Bill was energetic and kind. I loved his passion, "Not everyone is a poet, but everyone has poetry in them."
Liesel was eager to read her poem on her American Girl Doll. I was so proud to see her with that poem in hand march up to the mike.
I'd gone into this begrudginly, and came home to Brent just spilling over with stories from the night that probably sounded as much to him as it did when Liesel and Ireland relayed theirs to me. It really is hard to explain if you haven't seen Bill in action. Maybe this video (taken at a different school) will help.
I hope our school can get him back so all the girls can enjoy some time with Bill!

No comments:
Post a Comment