We met Katrina at her box bright and early for a CrossFit workout. Ireland is quite at home in a gym since she goes so often with me, and she knows how to be careful around the athletes and equipment. We arrived just as Katrina was finishing up, so Ireland hung out with her while I did the WOD.
It was the most complicated WOD I've ever done:
5 min AMRAP of
5 Squat Cleans
5 Push Jerks
5 Box Jumps
7 min to establish 1RM of complex with
Power Clean
Hang Squat Clean
Push Jerk
21-15-9
Hand Release Push Ups
Dips
Max effort 800 meter run
In the middle of that run, I was pacing someone when it became painfully obvious I was in high altitude and there simply was not enough oxygen in the air for me. It was like I was breathing through a straw. However, it was really fun to see Katrina's box and meet some of her friends. I like being able to picture people in the places they frequent, ya know?
This sign made me laugh. I was kind of hoping I'd see someone randomly doing Jumping Jacks near the front desk. We went to Kneaders for breakfast and hung out at Katrina's place for a while. Then we headed back to the hotel to get cleaned up for the day.
It was time to stop by The Sweet Tooth Fairy and nosh on some treats. They have such fun cupcakes there and just like her big sister, Ireland was excited to discover they had won Cupcake Wars! We finally looked up the episode when once we were home.
I love that place. It's the quintessential mother-daughter treat place and Ireland loved it just as much as Liesel had.
Lisa works just around the corner and she is an AMAZING nurse so I really wanted Ireland to see her at work, all dressed in her scrubs. We dropped off some treats and headed out for some mother-daughter time.
Originally, I had planned to take Ireland to Park City for a day, but the Alpine slides and coaster were closed for "shoulder season" as they prepare the slopes for skiing. I thought she might enjoy hiking Mount Timpanogos and seeing the caves, but that was closed too. Ireland mentioned she had never been on a roller coaster so I considered Lagoon but it's so dang expensive! That's when I found Cornbelly's at Thanksgiving Point and it just seemed perfect.
The corn maze was pretty spectacular, with a Greatest Showman theme. There were bridges and lookouts scattered throughout it so you could get your bearings. For the most part we knew where we had been and where we were headed...
...until we didn't!
I had a lot of fun with that little girl of mine.
She was having the time of her life.
Ireland did a few rides and much to my surprise, she absolutely loved the zipline! We are both apprehensive about heights and I've found myself completely frozen on a zipline platform, so naturally I thought she might have the same fears.
Nope, she had so much fun she actually went twice!
I tried to get a shot of Ireland throwing that bucket of kernels into the air but this is as close as we came. A mom next to me overheard and tried to get her girl to do the same thing and she also sprinkled a few on the ground like Ireland had. Oh well! Look how happy she is!
It just so happens the corner where I was sitting had a wicked cold wind blowing right onto me. The tent was nice and warm but everyone around me moved to avoid it so the only other open side was really crowded. I'm glad I wore my vest with awesome hoodie. I was nice and snug, even if I looked a little eccentric.
Around 5 PM, the whole place started to get pretty crowded and we'd seen and done everything we wanted to. We took a couple more photos on our way out and then navigated the insane traffic in the parking lot to our car.
Although our energy was flagging, I just had to say hi to my old mission companion who also lived in Boston when we did. Ireland played with her girl, Elise and Ireland later told me Elise is "really nice and really good at being evil." It was fun to catch up with Gaylynn. When we were companions, it never occurred to me that our daughters would one day play with each other... life is so funny.
Having been out and about all day, Ireland and I were ready to just chill in our hotel room and of course she was anxious to have another go at the pool. We'd been eating out all day so leftovers from The Bombay House sounded just perfect. Freaky Friday was on but Ireland fell asleep before it was over; she'd really worn herself out at Cornbelly's. It's a day we will both remember!

No comments:
Post a Comment