I was coming up dry for ideas to keep the girls occupied when I remembered the Devonian Fossil Gorge at the Coralville Dam. Somehow in our many trips to Iowa City, I've neglected to introduce that gem to my daughters. They've really done it up since it was first uncovered in the flood of '93! There are informational signs and a fountain (which I neglected to take a picture of- dangit!) and even trails and steps down into the gorge. My only regret? Letting them hike in their high heeled sandals. They didn't seem to mind too much though.
I don't know what it is about hiking that gets my girls to stop fighting. It's like how a car ride makes a baby fall asleep. Something just... I dunno, works. Even though it was hot and humid, I was so grateful for a break from all the bickering.
Since the girls could look for fossils on this hike, it was like a scavenger hunt!
Bonus!
The dam gates were opened pretty wide so there was quite an impressive flow of water.
The playground is really old- which is why there's still a merry-go-round. From what I understand, those are no longer considered safe, so they're going the way of the dinosaur. Ha! No pun intended.
We made up a game where the girls would get spinning and then I'd yell "SWITCH!" and they had to try and find a different animal to sit on.
No comments:
Post a Comment