Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Fifth Grade Clap-Out

Our elementary school just started doing a clap-out last year. Everyone- from kindergartners to fourth grade, teachers, support staff, the school mascot- everyone, lines the hallways to applaud and gives high-fives to the fifth graders who are leaving for middle school. Parents can come too and so of course I didn't want to miss this (semi) monumental moment in Liesel's life.


She's outta there!!!

Although Savannah won't be joining Liesel, they've been good friends this year. Savannah told me when she first moved to the school, no one would sit by her at lunch. Once when she sat down at a table, everyone got up and left. Except Liesel. Even if it made her a social pariah, Liesel sat by her and became her friend. The fact that I heard all this straight from Savannah, not Liesel just pricked my mother heart.

One of Liesel's favorite teachers, Mrs. Whiting.

We've definitely hit the tween years when boy-girl relationships become ultra-awkward. I asked for a quick picture of Liesel with this boy from church and I've never seen two people stand so far apart when standing close together! They've known each other for years and they look like they just met!

 Usually I plan the first day of summer to be a clean out day. Backpacks are stuffed with papers and art projects that need to be sifted, culled, and organized. I also go through their closet and make them try on every single piece of clothing to determine if it still fits, if it needs any mending and if it's something they like and will legitimately wear. I'd actually done their closets the week previous so we got to the backpacks as soon as they arrived home from school.

Just off camera is a huge, black garbage bag that was mostly full by the time we finished. In the end, everything worth keeping gets tucked away in their color coded files. I'd say about half the time is spent organizing stuff from the current year, and the other half is spent looking at past years stuff and reminiscing.
OK summer, let's do this thing!

No comments: