Thursday, December 12, 2019

One Giant Leap for... Well, Me

Box jumps have always been a challenge for me. Once you've seen someone wipeout and their shin spouts blood, it becomes really intimidating. I had a hard time even jumping on the 12" boxes because I was so scared I would miss it and twist an ankle or rebreak my foot in the process. Eventually I became comfortable with that. Over time, (and I'm talking years here) I tried the 16" and got comfortable with that one. Then one winter day the WOD called for skills and since I wasn't about to try muscle ups, I wound up working on my box jumps. My favorite trainer, David was really excited to work with me. I should note David is pretty darn short and he can do a box jump to the top of his chest. 

I decided I actually needed to just wipe out. Once I got over that fear, I could actually work on the 20" box jump itself. I whispered, "Eff it" to myself- something I do anytime I try something completely terrifying to me and I jumped, 100% expecting to biff it and fall. 

Much to my shock and amazement, my feet landed squarely on the box. I couldn't believe it and I let out a shriek. Everyone in the box stopped what they were doing and cheered. David looked at me with a "See? I KNEW you could do it!" look. I tried it again. And again. And again. I became familiar with the feel of a 20" box jump and turns out it wasn't as scary as I thought. 

David tried to up the ante and put a plate on top of the box just to see if I could brave a little more height. Let's just say I couldn't- haha!


Before I left, David put me on the leaderboard. The first time I've ever, EVER made it up there!

 And now I can take on the world!

No comments: