If you see me like this:
You know a recital is nigh.
Not only do I do a fair amount of adjusting my own daughter's costumes, but other girls in the studio as well. I'm also that Mom who can't stand crushed tulle so I will carefully steam and iron each and every layer of tulle so those skirts float like puffy clouds. Winter costumes are either borrowed from the studio or we reuse costumes from the Spring Recital. I could be wrong, but I feel like the director will give another mom a costume I have previously ironed for another daughter from another year and give me one that is flat and crushed just so everyone looks good on stage. Hmmm...
Brigitta's ballet number was with a girl she's been dancing with for years now. At 0:09 you can see how much Gita's echappes and sous-sus have developed lately. Our studio is quick to get kids on stage without the teacher so they are just off stage. While Brigitta still has to reference her teacher for choreography, there are whole chunks of this dance she was able to do from memory. I love how her friend reacted as the music kept playing but they had finished their number at 2:05
Sydney's ballet number was really sweet. I love how it begins with her little shoulder shimmy (she's the one on the floor with her back to the audience). I'm super proud of her for getting in all the little choreography details like 0:45. I really wish we could put her in more dance classes but Brent and I agreed she needs to be ahem, more attentive to her toilet hygiene first. I love the in and out hand motion at 2:20! So cute!!!
I'm obsessed with Brigitta's jazz number! First of all, I love that the studio opted to just have low, slicked ponytails. I can do buns and I can do braids but in this number Brigitta's slick, long hair just paired so perfectly with her costume! Ireland was once in a class by herself and when she did her number for the recital, she looked so tiny on that huge stage. That feeling returned as I watched Brigitta. I don't know that I would have had the guts to dance alone for a big audience. I also love this song and it's so fitting for Brigitta who is a daredevil by nature. I love her movements at "I wish I could be the perfect daughter" at 0:36. Brigitta definitely gets frustrated by our expectations with her, especially when compared to her sisters and well, there's truth behind that. Then "What's beyond that line? Will I cross that line?" at 2:17- you can tell Brigitta really liked that running motion. I have no doubt Gita will find what's beyond that line!
Clearly our studio likes to do upbeat ballet numbers- Liesel and Ireland's was no different. Ireland can get really down about her dancing, especially with Liesel in the class and I keep telling her Liesel is TWO years older! She's made great strides in memorizing her choreography and I'm super proud of her for that. I love 1:15 and 1:40 for the way they move their arms to the words. And they both sure look cute in their ballet costumes!
The Jazz number was kind of debacle of epic proportions because Liesel left her shoes at the studio and the studio was closed and locked. All rehearsals were at the school so there wasn't a way to get them. Part of the reason we are able to afford dance is because friends with older girls have donated used shoes and all we had were tan. She tried wearing them at rehearsal and Liesel stuck out like a sore thumb. I had to buy her a new pair which yeah, she needed anyway but man alive I did not need that aggravation! Getting four daughters recital ready is enough work, believe me.
I'm a proud dance mom of my girls!





No comments:
Post a Comment