Sunday, March 22, 2020

Sterne's Woods & Fen


Cabin fever hit a fever pitch and we all needed to get out of the house. I grabbed the girls for a brisk hike on this Sunday morning, inspired by Emily Dickinson:

Some keep the Sabbath going to Chuch --
I keep it, staying at Home --
With a Bobolink for a Chorister --
And an Orchard, for a Dome --

Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice --
I, just wear my Wings --
And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church,
Our little Sexton -- sings.

God preaches, a noted Clergyman --
And the sermon is never long,
So instead of getting to Heaven, at last --
I'm going, all along.

The girls wanted to recreate the presentation of the cub from The Lion King when they saw these tree stumps on a little hill.



With nothing but time, we took a longer hike and even went off the beaten path a bit. We came upon this tree with a heart carved into it so of course we had to get some pictures by it. 

I'm trying to be better about getting pictures of the girls in pairs so it's not just individuals and then all of them at once. It might be nice for say, Ireland to have a picture with Brigitta and vice versa. 

Although looking back on this photo I'm realizing this is probably the last time I did this. Hmmm, need to work on that...

Back to all 4 girls, but they are all snuggling Sydney which is pretty darn cute too. 

I feel like this is a symbolic photo as Liesel forges her way through adolescence. So much before her to discover, and while I have been with her up to this point, she has the tools and tenacity to keep going on her own.


Perhaps it wasn't our typical sabbath filled with Sunday dressed and church meetings but I hope we got to heaven all along as we immersed ourselves in nature. 

No comments: