Friday, May 13, 2022

Uncle Tim's Graduation

We are kinda sorta super proud of Tim as he graduates from medical school at the University of Iowa. So proud, in fact, that we couldn't help but bestow many lei's and gifts to show our love for him and admiration for all of his hard work. By the end of the night, he really stood out in the crowd:

I did the leis made of money and as it turns out- money is rather disgusting. My hands smelled like sweaty pockets and they were black from grime. The lei's themselves smelled too and I felt a little bad about that. The girls helped me with the leis made of candy, which was actually a lot of fun. Ages ago Reagan had pinned the Human Organ lunchbox on Pinterest and it seemed fitting for the occasion (and a convenient way to pack all those leis!). 


Tim had the good fortune to have one of the most beautiful nights for his graduation and we all dressed in black and gold. As we left the hotel, we were asked if we were headed to a wedding- haha! Quick sidenote, we stayed at the ONLY hotel we could find after realizing things would be a bit crowded  at my parent's house which was the Drury Inn & Suites which was very nice. Anyway, if we were going to the graduation, we were going to cheer for Tim. 

Dr. David Asprey put on Tim's hood and he commented on how he brought his cheering section with him. While getting through the names took a chunk of time, I have to say the program was incredible. One of the speakers talked about how much they had all been through, and some of the things they have not yet (like notifying family when a patient has passed). 

While I have heard of the Hippocratic Oath, that was another part of the program that gave me pause. Here it is:

Physician's Oath

I do solemnly swear by that which I hold most sacred that, as I enter the profession of medicine, my primary responsibility will always be toward my patients. I will regard my patients as fellow human beings and will do everything possible to preserve their dignity.

I will try to treat and prevent disease, maintain health, and aid my patients in realizing their life's potential so far as is possible with the skills of medical science.

I will seek to inform my patients fully about their illnesses, and I will always remember that the final decision regarding their own life rests with them.

I will never knowingly do a disservice, and I will do everything possible to preserve the privacy of my patients.

I will perform my professional role to the best of my ability, but I will never hesitate to call upon the assistance of other physicians or health professionals when indicated.

I will try always to cooperate with my fellow professionals and will seek actively to improve my profession and the service it delivers. I will remember that I am a participating member in a larger community; and, as a trusted servant of that community, I share responsibility for the planning of social policy toward constructive goals. 

I pledge to continue to educate myself throughout my career and continually to engage in a critical re-examination of myself as a rational, emotional, and spiritual human being.

Something about that first paragraph gets me all teary-eyed. I feel like the world would be a vastly different place if we all treated each other like fellow human beings and did everything we could to preserve each other's dignity. 

Speaking of teary-eyed, Whitney was rather weepy as she watched her husband celebrate his MD degree. 


Reagan wisely told her it's her degree too. 
 
It's definitely been a long row to ho for these guys and I'm so happy for them to celebrate a win.

Brent ushered the girls to the car so I could play cameraman for Tim and Whitney and his parents who were also there to support him. We stopped by Jimmy Jacks for ribs and then had dessert with everyone. Whitney played the most beautiful rendition of A Million Dreams from The Greatest Showman on the violin as a surprise for Tim which was just lovely. I found it on YouTube:

We love you so much Dr. Tim! So grateful we could be there to celebrate you!!!

No comments: