Friday, July 15, 2022

BYU Cheer Camp

Tentatively emerging from pandemic lockdowns of the past, we knew our summers were going to be different going forward. Our two-week stints in Iowa City were just no longer practical. Mom and Dad aren't in the same position they were to host like they were back then. Liesel and Ireland had gone as far as they could in swimming. We had seen and reseen all there is to see in Iowa City. Brent and I are now both working albeit remotely. It was time to develop a different summer time plan and I have to admit, this one came with a lot of trepidation because it was going to be expensive. This year we decided to send the girls to BYU Cheer Camp. There was a 3-day camp with the option of staying in the dorms for the older two, and the 2 days following that there was a half-day camp for the younger two. It would be a solid week in Utah but I figured we could stay at the Zermatt Resort in Midway and enjoy the beauties there. While I've been back to Utah every other year or so for the girls 8-year trips, Brent hadn't been back since Whitney and Tim's wedding and he was due for a visit.

We give the girls a break from dance for the summer and let them explore activities that are skill-adjacent like gymnastics camp. I figured cheer would be like that, it requires flexibility, choreography memorization and stunting- maybe more stunting than a hip-hop class but I thought they'd be ok. Besides, the website said girls of all abilities were welcome! For the older two, that wasn't quite the case. Aside from Utah and Idaho, there were A LOT of girls from Texas and pretty much everyone was in All-Star Cheer. They did ok, and they still had fun, but this was a one-time thing for Liesel and Ireland.
Ireland met and became fast friends with a girl named London (from Texas). London hurt her foot and so she wasn't able to participate in the showcase for the parents. Ireland kept her company when she could.

That braid in Ireland's hair was courtesy of her dorm counselor who Ireland adored. They did fun little activities every day like going to the bookstore or going off campus for some dirty soda (which we all became a fan of). Liesel and Ireland really enjoyed staying in the dorms although she sent me this picture of her room: 

I had to work so Brent was the one to check them in to camp and help them get settled in their dorm rooms. He came back feeling all nostalgic... haha!

Liesel enjoyed staying on campus as well although she ended up getting grouped with the younger girls.

Older kids could go to a dance on campus and younger kids went to a talent show. She ended up going to neither which I was a little bummed to hear about. There's always next year!

I got an earful about the hot pants. Again, trusting in the website which stated the girls could wear shorts only in the Smith Fieldhouse but the second they stepped foot outside, they were on BYU campus and expected to adhere to the dress and grooming standards. I dutifully sent the girls with cropped leggings which I thought was a good compromise. Apparently Liesel and Ireland were the ONLY girls in anything but hot pants- not just in the Smith Fieldhouse- but the entirety of campus! Wandering all around campus were girls in hot pants and not just the cheer girls, but the girls attending tennis camp and volleyball camp... I was able to rectify this in time for Sydney and Brigitta but Liesel and Ireland were pretty annoyed with me. For the record, there is photographic evidence (below) that they were not the ONLY ones in leggings!


Here is Ireland's routine:

Liesel's routine:

Can you pick Liesel and Ireland out of this crowd?

Liesel throws up a Y...

...Ireland throws up an I love you!
I'll take both!

Right after the showcase, we had to rush Brent and Liesel to the airport so she could make it home in time for Youth Conference. It was in Nauvoo which is something I didn't want her to miss out on. 

Now it was the Brigitta and Sydney's turn. Since this group was younger and it was just a half day camp, it wasn't nearly so intense. Sydney's group was called the Cuckoo Cougars. This is Ammon who is also filming for the Book of Mormon videos- hence the man bun which normally wouldn't fly at BYU.

Sydney's routine:

Brigitta's group were called the Baby Sharks.

Brigitta's routine:

I love Sydney's Gene Simmons impression here- makes me laugh!
 
One resounding comment I got from all the girls is how nice the BYU cheerleaders were to them. Can you just feel the energy in the room when they do Rolly Rolly?



This time when camp wrapped up, we were able to snap a few more photos which was a nice change of pace!





Ireland got an iconic photo too!

I absolutely loved that the girls got to learn a routine to Rolly Rolly. We have watched and rewatched that viral video more times than I can count. As you can see from this recreation, they had so much fun!

No comments: