Saturday, July 09, 2022

ORD to SLC: Delays, Delays, Delays

 Just as we were arrive to O'Hare, we received a message that our flight was delayed. We decided against going all the way home and decided to just hang out in the airport instead. Turns out we would be hanging out for quite some time- FIVE HOURS to be exact. And man that got old fast. Apparently there was something specifically with the plane and they needed a part flown in to fix it.


Everyone had brought stuff to do but even a couple hours of doing the same thing gets old and everyone was getting antsy. I decided to take the two antsiest kids and just wander the terminals for a bit of exercise. We had gotten everyone these cute Designer Park Co bag where they could display their favorite pins and which had a hydration system. That came in real handy and I sent the owner of the company this picture (I mean, since we had the time and all). 

At the end of the K terminal there were a whole slew of sailors heading out to Reagan International. We sent Aunt Regan this picture (I mean, since we had the time and all).


We had walked by the Sprinkles cupcake vending machine and we decided to try it. Not gonna lie- it ate my money once but at least we had a little entertainment for a bit. Now we know how it works!

We were getting so loopy being cooped up in the airport that Gita even flipped over just the picture of a puppy!
They announced they were giving out vouchers for the inconvenience and Brent grabbed ours. Between the 6 of us, it was a fair amount of money! As we headed to different shops in the terminal, we were told over and over they refused to accept the vouchers. They were only good for the day and I was determined to get the money out of ours. We ran- and I mean RAN from shop to shop until the sweet lady at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory said sure. The girls grabbed as many goodies as they could and she patiently waited for me to punch in all those vouchers. Our flight was actually boarding by then but we made it. I was dripping sweat but with our chocolates in hand, we were feeling rather triumphant. After they scanned my ticket I turned around and yelled, "Peace Out Chicago!" because I was so happy to finally be leaving.

Once we were onboard, the flight attendant said there was a time when everyone would have automatically been given frequent flyer miles but these days they have to be requested. She suggested going on to the AA chat feature which I did immediately. I kept getting transferred around and every time I'd just ask for more and more stuff. Here's the chat transcript:


My question is if we can get any miles for today's delay? Or a free trip to Hawaii would be cool too. Haha.

OK first of all so sorry for the delay to let you all experience such experience. And for that compensation to claim due to delay ill be shearing you a link, so no worry.

Does the link have miles in it? Or a trip to Hawaii? Or maybe a Tesla? I'd also accept a meet and greet with Chris Hemsworth.

Yes you can claim compensation in credit of miles through the link. https://www/aa/com/i18n/customer-service/contact-american/customer-relations.jsp. And for accommodation or voucher suggest you connect to the airport.

So no Chris Hemsworth then? Well that was a Hail Mary anyway. So do I need to enter this request on the webpage you send then?

yes just visit the concern link and you will find all the information. If you want I can also transfer you to the miles department, if that's Ok with you?

Sooo where are we on the Tesla then? Yes. I can transfer!

No problem. One moment please. Transferring to miles department please stay connected. Hi, I'm Aneesa, please give me a moment to review your messages. Hi. How may I help you?

Our flight was severely delayed and I was wondering if we could get some ff miles. The last person I talked to offered a free trip to Hawaii and a Tesla but I'm ok with just getting some miles.

Hello Danika. I would have to transfer you to the correct department for better assistance on this. One moment please.

Are you transferring me to the Tesla department then?

I'm transferring you to the department which will be able to better assist you. Hi, I'm Milan, please give me a moment to review your messages.

Hey Milan! Our flight was delayed and I'd like ff miles for my family. The last person offered me a free trip to Hawaii, a Tesla and  a meet and greet with Chris Hemsworth. I'm ok with just ff miles

Thank you for chatting with us today Danika. We are not able to provide compensation through our platform. For compensation inquiries you would need to contact Customer Relations. I do wish I could provide that meet and greet though but sadly he may be a bit busy for that! 

Oh, ok. Well I will try again through the website then. Thanks for your help.

At long last we landed in SLC. Of all of us, Brent has not been to the Crossroads of the West the longest. Each of the girls has had their 8 year trip but the last time Brent was in Utah was for Whitney and Tim's wedding- a decade ago! 

https://youtube.com/shorts/VBvrrV8wXFI?feature=share
Our first stop was to Cafe Rio in Park City which was particularly yummy given we had been eating crappy airport food all day. 

Then we headed to The Zermatt Resort in Midway. Sydney was so excited to show it off to everyone. We ended up having to move rooms because the first one they gave us smelled like smoke and didn't have space for a roll away bed. The second room was much bigger. After an evening in the pool and hot tub, we all fell asleep, happy to have finally arrived!

No comments: