I'm trying to remember exactly why I wanted to kayak Kailua Bay so much. In hindsight, I'm honestly not entirely sure what I was thinking. The prices were astronomical so Brent and I decided to just rent two three-person kayaks. The rental place was a bit of a walk to the water. The walk itself wasn't too terrible. It's just hard to be inconspicuous as a tourist when crossing intersections in life vests with a huge kayak on wheels.
We decided I would have Liesel and Sydney while Brent took Brigitta and Ireland. Pointing the kayak straight out into the water, I got in first. Just after Liesel got in, a big wave angled our kayak slightly to the side. We urged Sydney to hurry and get in before another one came because we needed time to correct the angle so we could get out into the water. She fussed about being yelled at and with just one foot in, a wave hit us hard and knocked her right out of the kayak in the water. There was another powerful wave right after it and with the rise in water, the kayak completely ran her over. Then the water receded so the weight of it was pressing on her. I struggled to get out and pull the kayak off of Sydney and the tour guide came running with his whole group of people watching. It was awful.
Things weren't much better in Brent's kayak. I was a bit preoccupied with Sydney but something happened and Ireland was in tears. We'd been told not to linger in the swimming area so we paddled out and then reassessed the situation. While the girls slathered on sunscreen, we tried to soothe feelings.
Liesel wanted to kayak to one of the nearby islands but I was already tired. There were some beautiful homes along the coast and we decided to kayak by those. Eventually we turned around and that's when the wind picked up a bit. Really, it was just a bit, nothing dramatic. I thought we were familiar with kayaking since we had done it on Lake Michigan. Kayaking on the ocean is a different smack. That little bit of wind made it feel like there was a 300 lb animal in the boat. I was fighting to keep us off the rocks and I do mean fighting. We made it back to the landing area and I sat down on the beach to catch my breath. The girls were thrilled to just play on the beach for a bit.
I have to give Brent props because in this moment, he was wonderful. This had been a complete bust and to make matters worse, we had blown money on it. Brent didn't act like it wasn't all that bad (it was). He didn't sit in silence or even vent his frustration. He looked at me and simply said, "It's ok. Don't worry about it." Just knowing he wasn't worried about it took a lot of emotional weight off me. Eventually we packed up- Liesel even kayaked a bit of the channel on her own!
Let's close up on that one a bit because I loved this!
My friend Janeal is really into US history and graves. She's the one who told me members of our church can have their grave marked with an angel Moroni. Once I passed along this little tidbit to the girls, the many graves became a scavenger hunt to find the different symbols of faith. The names became more nuanced as we realized this one was Hindu and that one was Christian and this one was Jewish. Janeal graciously answered my many texts and was so excited to hear we were having a good time.
Thanks to this TikTok , I really wanted to find the graves of the unknowns. Brent figured it out but time was growing short. We all rushed to find them and at first found the individuals where the ship isn't even identified yet.
The girls excitedly announced when they found a marker that included the ship.
Then we began finding the graves with multiple unknowns.
This was the winner- 25 unknowns from the USS Arizona.
We missed the informational video but we did make it in time to catch the ferry to the USS Arizona Memorial. This was the first time the whole family was together and there was a lot of hugging and happy chatting between cousins. One of the navy guys reprimanded everyone, stating we were headed to the resting place of many who died during the attack on Pearl Harbor. From then on it was just excited whispers.
Seeing a battleship above the water somehow made the USS Arizona Memorial all the more poignant. That quiet contrast just sunk into my heart as I realized that massive piece of naval weaponry was brought to its knees and now lay beneath us- slowly being reclaimed by the sea.
Here is the old part of the ship it is attached to:
and here is the new:
Words are so powerful and this inscription really struck me.
I learned those who did survive the attack can still be cremated and buried with the ship.
Here are divers ready to take down a sailor's remains.
Buoys help mark the bow and stern. I'd heard of the "black tears" of the USS Arizona where oil will still leak up to the surface but as I was scouring the water to see this for myself, everyone got on the ferry to head back. Brent tried whisper-yelling but I didn't hear him. He ran to grab me but by then the ferry had left. We didn't intend to leave our kids with everyone but honestly it was lovely to kind of have a little date there, just the two of us.
Our ferry arrived carrying nothing but sailors and once they unloaded, we secured our seat. I wish we'd sat in the very back because as the ferry pulled away, there was a fantastic view of the memorial.
I was worried everyone was going to be annoyed with us but the whole family was just chatting and catching up. Some college friends had joined the group and there were another round of hugs. When the sailors came back I told Liesel to pose in a flirty way for a picture so she's twirling her hair.
No comments:
Post a Comment