Friday, March 10, 2023

The Addams Family Musical

Liesel expressed interest in participating in the high school musical and mentioned there was a required parent information session. Brent and I didn't think much of it at the time- it could be like a little date night! Liesel (friendly reminder, who is ADD) reminded us more than once. Which is more than a little unusual. She was really excited about this prospect. There were not just singing but dancing parts and well, that was right in her wheelhouse. 

At that meeting Brent and I realized Liesel wasn't taking part in the musical so much as joining a cult. We were blown away with the rigorous rehearsal schedule, costume ($$$) and makeup requirements, calls for parental support on building, painting and striking set. Not to mention donations for food and supplies, ushering, ticket sales, poster distribution around the community- I mean, wow.  

We instantly had a lot more respect for her choir teacher who up until now just seemed like a cheerful lady who did this as almost a side gig. Oh no, the high school musical is something she has honed for years on top of everything else she does. At the end of the meeting we asked if she ever goes home at night and she laughed then deadly serious said, "Usually after April things calm down." 


Liesel got a part as a "Dancestor" which is one of the ghostly ancestors who also dances. The choreographer was from Chicago and could only be at the school on specific days. We were trying to balance Liesel's dance schedule and it was rough getting that to work for everyone. I finally had to have a call with the choir director to determine which days Liesel could miss part of recital, all of recital and when she'd have to miss dance because she really needed to be around. The idea of Liesel missing something we were paying for made me grind my teeth. Liesel spaced on the first day of rehearsal and had to miss some of the second day to go to dance. To make it worse, I had to find a way into the school to grab her since she lost track of time. The choreographer chastised her in front of everyone and that made me grind my teeth as well.


We were lucky to have a couple of friends with kids in the musical who helped out with rides and that made things bearable. It seemed like Liesel was always at rehearsal and having to run out in the cold to pick her up was never fun. Sometimes they would go over. Sometimes they would end early and she was desperate to go home.


Tech week was something else. She was gone all the time and really struggled to stay on top of everything else in her life. Liesel casually mentioned she needed character shoes- a tidy sum of $100 to plunk down for those! At this point, I was pretty bitter about the musical and ready to swear never to have a kid involved in one again. 

Liesel told me if it weren't for musical, she didn't think she'd have any friends at school. She was hanging out with kids from all grades and truly having a blast. I told her when I heard that the president of the United States had sat in the Situation Room and said, "I know how to resolve fighting in the middle east because I was in a high school production of Annie" I'd change my mind. Until then, I failed to see the value of being in the musical.

Opening night finally arrived and I have to say the set was pretty incredible.

I briefly wondered if I would be able to recognize Liesel in hair, makeup and costume but the second she danced onto the stage I could pick her out immediately. I've been watching her dance since she could stand! I had a moment- THE motherhood moment where she burst onto the stage dancing her heart out in character and moving like she knows something about life and as tall as everyone else... my baby's all grown up!

Even from the balcony I could tell she loved it. Everyone did!

The production was finely honed, rehearsed to perfection and so well done!

Liesel's little sisters not only loved the musical, but they all determined right then and there that high school musicals were a part of their future too. 

All those rehearsals with the choreographer made sense as I saw the dance numbers unfold. There were a lot of kids in this musical- it was surely a lot to coordinate!

Did I mention it was completely sold out? We ran into someone who mentioned they wanted to go and I had to tell them so sorry! That was not an option any more. This meant the excess funds would go back into the choir department which is really incredible.

As Liesel exited stage left with her adorable wave, I couldn't have been more proud of her and all her hard work.

Liesel showed real dedication and juggled so many things between school, seminary, dance, church activities and her own sanity to be a part of this production. They absolutely slayed. She found a family within that Addams Family, for sure.

Brava!

1 comment:

Laney said...

What a wonderful experience for her. That's a lot of work for a teen to juggle. Most adults don't have that many demands. Brava indeed!