Our baby is going to be born in the ghetto. Not that we don't have good insurance, on the contrary we have fabulous insurance but since this is my first baby, we were picky about the doctor. Our doctor is fabulous. She's everything you'd want in your OB-GYN and I just love her. She's bright and funny yet straightforward and thoughtful when answering my millions of questions. She's just a doll. She also happens to work at Tufts New England Medical Center which is right by Chinatown... in the ghetto (formerly known as the combat zone). Tonight I had a birthing class so I walked to the orange line stop after work. Brent wasn't going to make this one so I was on my own. The orange line isn't necessarily scary, especially during rush hour. Besides, the T policeman who stands there kind of provides a sense of security. The train was running behind and the crowd waiting at the stop got bigger and bigger. I was a little anxious about being late but the masses were making me nervous. Bostonians are brash, and when push comes to shove, they shove... and then some.
Finally the train arrived and it stopped with the door just to my right. It's common protocol to let passengers off before rushing in. Once everyone was off, the black youth standing right in front of the door, the one with the oversized baseball cap, long gold chain and baggy pants put out his arms to block everyone from entering and loudly announced, "NOPE! Let this lady on first." Everyone looked at me and seeing I was clearly pregnant, stood aside so I could get on the train first. In other circumstances I would have dismissed this boy, but this afternoon he became my hero.
All I can say is his momma taught him right!
3 comments:
Courtesy on the orange line! Hooray for that kid's mom.
Hey! I came back to watch the funny videos again and their gone! NOOOOO! That was totally going to be my entertainment at work as I'm giving myself an IV of abx for a kidney infection in between patients. The marshmallow eating made me cry!
AWWWWW!! That comment warmed me through all the way to my toes. There ARE good kids wandering the planet these days.
Can I request some more recent bump pictures? PUHLEEEEZE?
Post a Comment