We have some of the most awesome home teachers. The Salazar family in particular has taken VERY good care of us. After I had Liesel, Annie called to tell me she was on her way to Target and to ask if I needed anything. Who does that? Once she dropped off some homemade pasta salad so I wouldn't have to worry about dinner. No reason, she just thought I could use a little help (even though they have 4 kids of their own). Josh visits us consistently and always leaves a wonderful message that really make us think. They have the most adorable kids and whenever we visit, their little noses are pressed up to the front window. They get so excited when we pull up. Forget Cheers, the Salazars is where everyone knows your name. Well, not exactly... they call me "the girl of your home teacher" which is kind of close to Danika. Anyway, it's with this plethora of goodwill that we thought we'd pay them back a little kindness. Red velvet cake is my favorite and to keep myself from losing control and eating it all in one sitting I make cupcakes. It's built-in portion control. Even then, we always have way more than we can possibly eat. Brent and I decided to give a plate of cupcakes to the Salazars but to make it even MORE fun, we'd ding dong ditch them. Well, not really because we called Josh ahead of time to let him know we were doing it for the kids excitement and not to be rude. We told him there would be something just outside the front door and to not step in it.
Brent looked SO cute sneaking up to the door in his suit (this was Sunday). He's perfect for this kind of thing because he's up for just about anything and he's so fast. Brent rang the doorbell and in a flash was back in the car. I was so distracted watching him I didn't even notice the minivan pulling out of the driveway I'd parked in front of. Then it went from comical to painful. I'd moved so close to the driveway, the minivan couldn't curve around and get out. Brent and I were ducking to escape being seen and by then the entire family was on the front step watching us. The woman in the minivan was getting more irritated by the second. It seems she hadn't clued in to our plan and with typical New England impatience wanted me to get in gear. Finally I put the car in reverse to give her some room. If there was any doubt as to who was doing the ding dong ditching, the headlights from the minivan solved that mystery. I've never heard Josh laugh so hard. Even as we squealed away I could hear him laughing down the street and I worried a bit he might drop their baby.
Smooooth. We're real smooooth.
2 comments:
Awesome door bell ditch story! Hey, at least you didn't set their lawn on fire like one of my friend's door bell ditching escapades...:)
As a ding dong ditching veteran (nice things, not mean things), I applaud your efforts. I guess it can't go our way all the time :)
Let me just say I love your poll this week. Blair and I finally jumped on The Office bandwagon this year...very funny.
Post a Comment