Friday night we played games with a sympathetic group of friends which helped but I was still a little down. We put a very cranky Liesel down for the night, waaaaaay past her bedtime, and Brent flipped through the channels on tv. I wanted something upbeat, something that would take my mind off my day and really start my weekend. We found it on Wealth TV of all places; they were showing Ishtar.
Ishtar is a family and cult favorite. It did horribly at the box office, hence the Far Side cartoon above which is the video store in hell. Even though we own it on VHS (I really need to get the dvd... if they ever made it into dvd), I hadn't seen it in a while. Some of my favorite lines:Lyle: It takes a lot of nerve to have nothing at your age, don't you understand that? Most guys'd be ashamed, but you've got the guts to just say 'to hell with it'. You say that you'd rather have nothing than settle for less, understand?
Chuck: You mean you bought a camel?
Lyle: No, I didnt really buy it. They SOLD it to me!
Lyle: Oh no. I think that something went wrong and now I own a blind camel. A blind camel!
Chuck: As one agent to another, I've heard the emir is a prick.
Jim: REALLY? Well we'll have to look into that.
Lyle: A piece of sand blew in my eye? This must be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing... like a glacier melting.
Jim: ...especially now that Kadafi's signed a pact with Morocco.
Chuck: Is that near here?
Jim: Kadafi's a person. He rules Libya.
Chuck: Yeah yeah, but that's near here, right?
Jim: Yeah, Libya's near here.
Chuck: *singing* My life is nearly over, and time goes by so fast. I wanted to give you a present, to thank you for the past [From the song I'm Leaving Some Love In My Will].
CIA Agent: Jim, I don't know what you had in mind here, but this mission is no longer covert. We are now overtly firing on two Americans and God knows who else. And they are armed to the teeth!
Even typing these out makes me smile all over again. I really should look into getting it on dvd!
4 comments:
:-( Danika, I am so sorry that people are so insensitive. It should just be general knowledge that NO ONE should mention that.
pobrecita!! i know how crappy it is. i, too, was amazed that those who should have been most sensitive were the rudest. it's like they're jealous that maternity clothes are so much nicer these days or something. ;-) hang in there, darlin'!
OH MY GOSH! I have been running through Ishtar quotes myself!
"Move the Camel..."
"Okay,"
"Move the Camel..."
"Right,"
"Move the Camel..."
"Where?"
"ANYWHERE - ITS ON MY FOOT!"
and,
"The United States Government will NOT be blackmailed... however, I see no problem in meeting your timeline..."
Ahhhhh, it is such fantastic humor, and the world knows not what it has missed. The good news is that it IS on DVD with a directors commentary, and you're almost done. Two more months and then they can all go back to insulting... oh, I don't know, something else. :D
If you ever admit that you can play the accordian, they'll never hire you in a rock n' roll BAAAAAND!
LOVE IT! and now I'm going to find it on DVD to enjoy as often as I'd like.
Post a Comment