Monday, May 31, 2010

Travelogue: Gettysburg

After DC we headed to Gettysburg. Many years ago I read Killer Angels which brought this battle to life for me. I had never been interested in stories of war but I absolutely fell in love with Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and his 20th Maine regiment. "Fix bayonets" became my personal motto and I began to learn more about the characters that played a role in the Civil War. On a trip to DC I naively thought I'd drop by and quickly visit the site on my way back to Boston. Little did I know how huge it is and how much there is to see. I picked up a cd-guided tour book and headed home vowing to make it back to actually follow the tour. Well, several years later I made it back! I urged Brent to read the book and we put the movie on our Netflix queue so we'd be ready.

This morning Brent and I drove around the site of this famous conflict. We saw Little Round Top, Devil's Den, The Wheatfield (not a misspelling, it's a proper name), the High Water Mark and the gated clump of trees that was to be the focal point for the Confederate Army, Cemetery Ridge and Culp's Hill. Even after 3 hours Brent and I wanted to take more in but we had to get home and there's only so long you can strap your children in a car. Our camera battery was completely dead and we hardly left the car so we didn't get any pictures. On the way home we did have a momentous event which warranted a picture with my bb however:

I can't wait to see where our next 100,000 miles will lead us! For the time being though, it feels SO good to be home!!!

No comments: