Friday, December 17, 2010

The Tumbling Toddler

One of the benefits of squatting at my parent's home during Brent's job search is we were able to enroll Liesel in gymnastics. The local gym offered a Mommy and Me class on Thursday mornings which was ideal because it was during Ireland's nap time. My mom was happy to cuddle with the sleeping baby while I took Liesel to the gym. Ireland slept better and Liesel and I loved having our private time. In just a few classes I was amazed at her progress. She went from being afraid of being upside down to doing somersaults repeatedly. In spite of being afraid of the swing at the playground, she was eager to hang onto the rings and swinging by her hands. I think most kids enjoy the trampoline but she was able to bounce on her butt which is actually a little tricky for her age. Now every time I turn around she's doing a handstand on the couch. During her last class she was holding onto a parallel bar and she put her feet through her hands and flipped backwards. I couldn't believe it! I was so proud of her.

Liesel not only loved the class but she absolutely adored her new wardrobe of leotards. I put her hair in pigtails to keep it out of her face but to still enable her to do her headstands and somersaults. Her teachers always gushed about her pigtails and I have to admit she looked dang cute. The only downside to a Mommy and Me class is it's hard to get video when you're assisting with handstands and backward rolls. I got a couple though and thought I'd post them even if they aren't terribly impressive!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Sam is on my lap dictating which video we watch. "NooOOOOooo! LeeSol jumping!" Jumping or swinging? "LeeSoool Swin'in..."

Welcome back to the land of the living!