Thursday, September 01, 2011

Brookfield Zoo

It has been brought to my attention that this blog is perhaps misleading. My posts give a very narrow view of our family life that might lead one to believe we are perpetually well dressed, adventurous and happy. Let me debunk that myth right here and now. I am still very much in the throws of figuring out the whole SAHM thing. Do I make mistakes? Absofrigginlutely! All the time. I yell at my girls, neglect the dishes, fight with Brent and forget to floss. But I'm doing my best. In highlighting the shiny, happy moments, I hope that I too can look back and the dark will fade away into the light. It's a survival tactic for an overly self-critical, perfectionistic individual such as myself. If I think about all the ways I'm failing at my one and only job (ie CEO of this household) I just want curl into a ball and cry. But for the record, it is not all sunshine and lollipops around here. To wit, the Brookfield Zoo.

Liesel was requested to participate in another study at the University of Chicago. This one focused on how little kids learn math skills. They really try to make it a positive experience so everything is introduced as a game. The researcher told me that in the middle of the study Liesel grabbed all the toys and said, "Now I'LL show you a game!" Well, it's another $10 for her savings account at least. I forgot our GPS in Utah so I thought I'd just print off directions. Well our printer wasn't working so I was in downtown Chicago traffic trying to read them off of my blackberry. Needless to say I got lost. Really lost. On the wrong side of town in an alley way lost. Big man trying to wave me into a creepy chain-linked parking lot lost. Never going out without the GPS again lost.

The place was a ghost town. Liesel just looks bright and cheery because the heat hadn't set in.
After our time at the University of Chicago I wanted to do something fun. We've done the beach a few times and the nearest museum a few times. I've really been wanting to check out the Brookfield Zoo. Apparently they have a huge Halloween dealio where kids can come in their costumes and get candy. I was hoping to check the place out beforehand to see if it would be worth it to drag crowd-and-traffic-hating Dad along. Since we were headed downtown anyway, this seemed the opportune time.

Now the effect of the weather is starting to show. Still smiling for the camera though... what a trooper! I tried to get Ireland in the picture but she ran away from the giant gorilla. Weird
After paying $9 for parking I got to pay another $23 for general admission... no added attractions. Luckily I packed lunch for the girls. Unfortunately in the rush to get out the door I forgot to pack any diapers. Not a one! Oh, and it was 96 degrees outside. With humidity. The zoo was practically deserted so it was nice to not have lines but we were melting. Many of the exhibits had signs for stroller parking. I got to lug little Ireland with her bright, red cheeks in my flaming arms and sweaty pits. It was miserable. We saw about two animals before I wanted to leave. Oh, and WHAT was I thinking? The girls were terrified of Reagan's Boston terriers... why would they want to see wild animals that in any other setting could kill them? Seriously stupid.


Giraffes. Whatever. Even in the shade we were schvitzing and it smelled like poop (the humidity enhanced the scent). The giraffe chewing on the tree stared Liesel down after this pic. Psycho!
 We only stayed for about an hour and half. I spent the ride home being grateful for air-conditioning and feeling guilty for spending so much money. This little adventure was definitely a total fail. Maybe we'll try again in a few years. I'm still interested in the Lincoln Park Zoo which is free, but I'll wait until things cool down. I'm zoo-ed out for the time being.

2 comments:

Janeal said...

You are a trooper for taking them anywhere in the heat!

Reggs said...

I give you props for using the term svchitching!! or however you spell it. Hilarious post!