I was just reading an article about how to pack a healthy lunch. There was a picture of a sandwich with a note from Mom and I was suddenly transported back to my school days. When we were old enough, we packed lunches for ourselves and our siblings on a rotation but Mom had a day too (Monday was it? So she could make them on Sunday night? Siblings confirm!). She almost always wrote a little note signed with a heart and an oh so recognizable M. Sometimes the napkin would lay on my frozen Capri Sun and by the time I got it, the note was smudged. But it was there nonetheless. Even when I was in high school and supposedly too cool to get a love nudge from my mother. In those days my friends would rip the napkin right out of my lunch as soon as I opened it to see what clever thing my mom had written that day. Initially I was embarrassed but I came to realize they were a little jealous and I came to look forward to getting them.
Thanks Mom, you did it right :)
2 comments:
I love that. In high school my Dad would make my lunches and they were the prized thing at lunch time. I was always so secretly excited that everyone was jealous of my Dad's mad lunch making skills and to top it off, I would periodically get a note inside too that would always put a smile on my face.
I've been doing that, TOO!! I forgot to put one in today and Piper REAMED me when she got in the car. "MOM, you didn't give me a napkin ORRRR a note!!"
Well, at least there was food, right? LOL. And I do believe Mom was on Sundays. I was Thursdays. And Joel did whatever day he thought he could make mayonnaise sandwiches. He CLAIMS he forgot the ham in JUST my sandwich. Riiiight.
Post a Comment