Friday, October 28, 2011

A Lady of the Left

It's no surprise to those who know me that I follow The Container Store's blog. I have to limit my visits to the local shrine to just one a month or I'll bankrupt us. Somehow I started receiving Real Simple articles in my email as well. When I'm able to find a few moments of quiet, I like perusing them for recipes and organization ideas. You could say I've been a fan of Real Simple. Were I more into Facebook I would "like" them. However, I came across one article that made me feel absolutely exposed.

It's this one on Organizing for Your Personality and specifically, the quiz which determines if you're a left-brain person or a right-brain person. It's like someone has been secretly watching me because I fit the left-brain profile perfectly. So I wear the same jewelry every day... should I be swapping out my wedding ring for a cocktail ring? My morning routine is what helps me keep my sanity in those crazy afternoon hours, so what? And who in the world regularly drives around with the Empty light flashing? I can't be the only one who thinks that is reckless and irresponsible! The more I read, the more I felt eerily defined. My current project is a mission scrapbook for Brent... which matches MY mission scrapbook. And yes, my digital photos are organized by date.

I was eager for Brent to get home so I could give him the same quiz. Of course he would score the same as I did and then we could discuss how much the writer nailed our personalities. But that's not quite what happened. Turns out Brent is more of an even split between left and right brain. When I explained the scoring method to him, he threw back his head and chuckled, "You are SEVERELY left-brained!" I couldn't believe it! All this time I thought he was with me on my organization ideas and methods. We were two peas in a closet-full-of-clothes-hung-by-color pod! Not so much. All this time Brent has just been going with the flow... like a typical right-brainer. When I devastatingly reached this realization he insisted he loves the matching scrapbooks, but to no avail. I'm so very alone in this far corner of my brain.

Maybe I need to take a step back and uh, finger paint? I have no idea how to even tap into my right brain... could I make a list and meticulously follow it step by step until I've achieved it? If there are any strong right-brainers out there, please let me know!

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

i was a bit more left [7] than right [4]. my big thing is while i like order, i'm always trying to figure out the best system. i like mixing it up to keep it fresh and interesting and to see what is the best way to do things.

Sylvia-Louise said...

I came out VERY right brained. I guess that's why we were such great friends---opposites attract. Although there wasn't a question about making Cream of Wheat, because that is one of the few things I actually make following ALL the directions and measurements.

Laney said...

This post makes me love you more! You were by far my most structured compa. Routine makes me want to slit my wrists. I'm WAY right brained. I force myself to be organized, but it has to be visually pleasing or it just won't work. My biggest pet peeve is when I'm cooking for my SIL and she follows me around the kitchen putting stuff away I've set down. Just cause I set it down doesn't mean I 'm done with it. She is now banished from the kitchen :D Out of sight out of mind is literal for me. http://office.pricegrabber.com/file-folders/Esselte-Pendaflex174-Mobile-File-Case/m624457.html/search=pendaflex%2B52891/mode=pg_google_us_broad/skd=1 This is my favorite discovery EVER! I can keep my paperwork organized and off my desk BUT still within sight so nothing gets forgotten. Embrace the way you are - it's not bad. It's just part of who you are. I married a left brainer. His style is beyond me sometimes, but I stick with it because it works for him and makes him feel better.

Unknown said...

And the right brain wins by a nose 5-3! And no duh you are an uber-left brain, you're a Nielsen!

Katrina said...

Here's something to set your brain abuzz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU And this one will not make sense until someone sees something different than you do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CEr2GfGilw&feature=related

Let me know how you do with that! :D