Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Not My First Time at the Rodeo

This is my third pregnancy. As such, I've learned a few things along the way that have changed my outlook on how I deal with my gestation time. To wit:

I Don't Tell People My Due Date When someone asks my due date I tell them it's in August. If they follow it up by asking when in August I tell them it's at the end of August. If they ask for the day I say it's at the end of August.... or maybe early September. Then they figure I'm horribly forgetful and leave me alone. With my other two pregnancies it seemed like everyone mentally moved my due date up by two weeks or more. Nothing is more demoralizing than having to tell someone that you have weeks or worse, months to go when you've already told them the blessed day when your babe is to arrive. To be fair, I'm sure most people don't pull out their smartphones and mark it in their calendars. The topic is really more of a conversation starter than anything. However, if I never really told them in the first place, I'm hoping I won't get so annoyed should they get it wrong.

I Don't Go Into An Ultrasound With a Full Bladder
Nothing spoils a glimpse at your little one like cringing as the technician puts pressure on top of pressure to get a good look. Once I forgot about the ultrasound requirement and used the restroom just before. To my shock and amazement I discovered they could see the baby just fine. For some reason I thought they were going to look into my bladder and chastize me when it wasn't bulging. Turns out they didn't even care. Now when I'm instructed to have a full bladder for the ultrasound I don't nod, I don't say okay, I just smile back. I'd rather put my hand on a table and hit it with a sledgehammer a few times than desperately try to keep myself from peeing on the examination table in front of a complete stranger. I do eat a square of chocolate just before my appointment. That tends to get the baby moving so they can see all angles.

I Don't Have Breakfast Before My Glucose Test
Yes they say it's fine to eat a normal breakfast but should I not pass the dreaded tastes-like-sin-drink test I have to do the even more dreaded 3 hour test where I AM required to fast. I've heard many tales from women who had the normal breakfast only to be called back for the 3 hour test. After that horror, they were told the results were normal. If skipping breakfast means skipping that inconvenience you can bet I'm all for it.

When the Nesting Urge Hits, I Act On It... IMMEDIATELY
I used to be hyper aware of my energy on a day to day basis with my other two pregnancies. For good reason too, I was working full-time which was taxing in its own way. Often I would put off setting up the baby equipment or shopping or organizing some other aspect of my life. I then learned that leaving it all to the 3rd trimester is not the most brilliant idea. Not only was I more tired, but some things were physically prohibitive. I almost always had to enlist Brent's help and I was so hormonal and particular it was a miracle our marriage survived it all. This time around if I suddenly feel like setting up the baby swing, I set up the baby swing. I find it makes me feel like I'm being a good mother, albeit preemptively. Hopefully my third trimester will be nothing more than lying around like Jaba the Hut now that my ducks are all in a row.

I Don't Buy Maternity Clothes
If you don't get what the big deal is regarding maternity clothes I have a suggestion for you. Go to a regular store where you'd buy clothes like the Gap, or Ann Taylor. As you walk by the clothes, put your hand out and feel the fabrics. Crumple them up in your hand and let go (many will go back to their original shape). Now go to a maternity store and do the same thing. I guarantee you will want to wash your hand after just one rack of clothes. You may also be surprised to find that a good 1/3 of the clothing has wide, horizontal stripes on it. Spending money on maternity clothes (which are always overpriced), is absolutely depressing. My last two pregnancies were during the winter so I have a nice collection of maternity sweaters and wool pants. None of that does so well in the 90 degree weather we've been having. As such, I've been raiding Brent's closet for basketball shorts and plain t-shirts. I look horrible, sure, but I can't stand spending the ridiculous money to look decent for just another two and a half months... or maybe it's three months :).

How about you? Anything you did differently with subsequent pregnancies you didn't with the first?

No comments: