While the girls had these masterpieces painted on their faces:
I contemplated these masterpieces at Chicago's Art Institute:
They should really rename Bring Your Kids To Work Day something a tad more apropos like Give Your Stay-at-Home Spouse a Break Day. I think the day flew by a tad too quickly for everyone. It's been years since I've been to an art museum and making it back was a breath of fresh air.
Brigitta and I were second in line and once we got in I made a beeline for the Seurat. Being able to stand at that huge, huge, HUGE painting and just take it in was heaven. I always notice something different and this time (thanks to the audio tour I flipped for) I noticed the soldiers near the upper left. Chagall's America Windows was stunning. I always forget how much I love stained glass (I took a class myself in high school) until I see something this impressive. I find it funny the figures in American Gothic were Wood's sister and dentist. Sometimes I feel like my dentist is using a pitchfork on me too... I've decided I will make it to Monet's gardens in France someday. I absolutely will! My heart skipped a beat when I saw the Pollock. For someone who is as fastidious as I am, I'm not quite sure why I like his frenetic work, but I do. I could stare at it for hours. The passion just seems to radiate out of the canvass.
I'm already looking forward to the next Bring Your Kids to Work Day! Between the face painting, magician, pizza and donuts I think the girls are as well.
Right Brent?





1 comment:
I am so jealous Danika! I have only been there once and didn't get to see much of the permanent collection, though I did see Serault and American Gothic (bummer that I missed those Chagall windows!!) I began to really love Pollock after watching a video of him creating his paintings- it truly was a process and until you see them in person, you can't really get a feel for all of the movement in them. Your post makes me realize that it has been awhile since I have been to an art exhibit and I need some of that in my life too :-)
Post a Comment