Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Cheating

The family was hanging out in the kitchen when I came across something I didn't recognize.

"Where did this come from?" I asked Brent. 

"Uhhhhh, it's probably from one of my dates," he said absentmindedly.

I examined the singularly important yet indescribable object more closely and scanned my memory for a date with Brent that would explain it. I came up dry. 

"I don't remember this."

"Well that's because it wasn't on a date with you. You know I'm dating 4 or 5 other girls, right?" 

Of course, this came as quite a shock and as my jaw dropped Brent was surprised by my reaction. 

"You didn't think that when we got married that meant we were going to be exclusive did you?"

Another wave of shock came over me and I couldn't muster an answer.

"Wait a minute, do you mean to tell me that in seven and a half years you've NEVER dated another man?" His tone was one of surprise, amusement and worst of all, pity. Brent was mocking me. He was flaunting the fact that in the wake of our nuptials, his dating life remained robust whilst mine had shriveled into oblivion. Then came the worst part. 

Brent frownsmiled at me. 

Clearly I had read too much into our eternal marriage. Like so many women do, I'd given it more meaning than reality afforded. He hadn't led me on by slipping that ring on my finger! I'd done all this to myself! All the horrible thoughts of how stupid I had been came crashing down around me and then, and then, AND THEN... I woke up. 

I furiously texted Brent to let him know he dream cheated on me again. His response? 

"Stop having insane dreams. You're my companion. I love you."





He didn't really refute the idea of dating other women though, did he?

2 comments:

Brent said...

She didn't include the second text. "My ETERNAL companion"

Laney said...

Ha ha ha! I thought you were going to talk about your hijas. This is even funnier! Dreams can really mess with you.