Friday, February 21, 2014

Pokies

Today I took Ireland to the Pediatric Specialty Clinic for allergy testing. All told it was 10 needles and a scratch on the middle of her back. She sat on my lap while I held her hands and two nurses injected different extracts rapid fire into her arms. A woman with a bag of toys and books and bubbles distracted her while the nurses and I whispered about how it would all go down. Just before they started I told Ireland we would go get a cupcake afterward. Then it began. That familiar knot in my stomach tightened as Ireland went from happily playing and chatting to hysterically sobbing. She tried to pull her hands away from mine and I felt absolutely traitorous as I held them firm. I looked towards the ceiling because I knew I'd lose it if I watched my baby get stabbed over and over.

"What kind of cupcake do you want?" I honestly can't even remember if it was me or one of the nurses who asked the question. I don't think I took a breath the whole time.

Barely comprehensible, Ireland sobbed, "One with SPRINKLES!!!" And then it was over. Big crocodile tears continued to spill down Ireland's face as she insisted she needed a band-aid. Finally everyone packed up and left us alone to wait 15 minutes for the results.
Is this not the face of betrayal?
The nurse who did this side managed to draw more blood for some reason.
Ireland calmed considerably while I told her she'd been very brave. As doctors and nurses filtered back in, she burst into tears at the very sight of them. I tried to soothe her by letting her know she was done with "pokies" as she calls them. Nonetheless, her face would crumble whenever anyone with a badge on came into the room.

The results? She is allergic to molds, cats and dogs. Big time on the dogs. Brent and I are shelving our dreams of one day getting a blue-eyed Alaskan huskie and naming him Fenway. Knowing what can be triggers for her asthma will help us manage it SO much better! We get a standing order for a corticosteroid and lots of refills for her albuterol.

Just before we left, the woman with all the toys came back and let her choose between a blue bear and this adorable bunny. All offense was forgotten as Ireland clasped her new furry friend.
Ah me, children can teach us a thing or two about forgiveness, eh?

No comments: