Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Plague

Ok, this is one nasty little bug. After a week of a cough and runny nose, Brigitta developed diarrhea and a fever. Last night she couldn't sleep for more than 40 minutes and the rest of the time was spent weeping, wailing and swatting at her right ear. Plus she looks like this:
No filter!
Sydney's cough and runny nose was getting worse and she was feeling feverish too. Liesel was also coughing and mentioned it felt like she had a "tickle" in her right ear. Time to call in the big guns.

At the crack of dawn I piled the girls into the car and went to the instacare minutes after it opened at 7am. To my utter dismay and irritation, I was told they wouldn't see a baby under 6 months old. I piled the girls back into the car and headed to the nearest pediatric clinic. Even though we were there 15 minutes before it opened, the door was unlocked and there was someone at the desk. I told her I knew they weren't open and I didn't have an appointment but urgent care wouldn't take us. I really, really, really didn't want to take my baby into the ER where she could catch something worse. The appointment secretary coldly looked at the schedule and told me they were actually overbooked for the day but snidely offered to schedule me in for tomorrow. I again piled the girls into the car and called Brent in tears.

I haven't slept in days. I'm exhausted from my saga in the ER with Ireland over the weekend. If I could fix this on my own, I would. No one seems to have any compassion for the mom carrying a 3-month old, 18-month old and ushering two more tinies, all of whom are hacking like lifelong smokers with advanced cases of emphysema. As I numbly drove toward the ER, Brent tried calling the clinic across town and scored us an appointment at 8:15. We were there early.

Because of their coughing, the girls were told to wear masks. They really didn't like them so while we waited for the doctor, Liesel and I played a game. She made an expression and I had to guess what it was based on her eyes alone. Can you tell what kind of a face she is making?



Oh yeah, I forgot that Liesel totally biffed it on the ice and hit her head on the bumper of Brent's car. We're sure a sorry looking lot these days! Well it turns out Brigitta and Liesel both have ear infections (Ha! I KNEW Liesel had an ear infection!!!). Brigitta and Sydney were tested for the flu. I asked the doctor if they are seeing a lot of these cases and she said, "Oh my gosh, YES!!!" It's just one of those nasty bugs making its rounds. Three hours and $50 in prescriptions later, I was able to finally take a brief nap while Liesel and Ireland were at school and the babies slept. Tonight as I put everyone to bed, Ireland looked at me sadly and said, "I made everyone sick." Oh baby girl, this isn't your fault!

Liesel's expressions are: sad, happy and silly. 

2 comments:

Sara said...

Oh how awful! So...Hunter looks just like Briggita and has the same symptoms! Does she have the flu?

Danika said...

Nope! Brigitta and Sydney were negative for both Influenza A and B. I was asked more than once if they had the flu shot this year (they did). This is just a super nasty upper respiratory infection. Give little Hunter a kiss from me. Sorry to hear you have a sick one too!